BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 4 - Steel Wheels

More
02 Mar 2020 22:26 #219303 by wjamieson
I would be interested in peoples thoughts about steel wheels. I have a Gen 4 SZ5 with Alloy Wheels. I have fitted Toya 215/75r15 AT tyres and all is good. However in May I intend driving to the Pyrenees to take part in a 1 week 4x4 offroad tour. Hence don't want to damage the alloys and to be honest I like the look of black modular steel wheels.

In saying that I want to keep the car as stock as possible. Existing Alloys are 5.5x15 ET 22. The only steel wheels I have found are 7x15 ET 10.
Blurb from website says:-

Suzuki Jimny 2019 onwards with a 15” wheel , 5.5” wide and offset ET22
Normally fitted with 195 80 15 tyres
ET-30 will give the look of a 71mm wheel spacer
ET-15 will give the look of a 56mm wheel spacer
ET-00 will give the look of a 41mm wheel spacer
ET 10 will give the look of a 31mm wheel spacer.

Will the increased weight of the larger wheel (7 instead of 5.5) and the increased spacing in any way be detrimental to ride or MPG. I am driving 3000 miles plus the tour so don't want to introduce inefficiencies if possible.

Ideally I would like a black steel 15x5.5 or 6 with ET of 22. But not being able to find them. Any issues going with the 15x5 ET10?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Mar 2020 05:32 #219305 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 4 - Steel Wheels
As I pointed out in another thread there seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation surrounding the offset of Jimny wheels. Unless someone has measured one and can demonstrate different all Jimny wheels are negative offset by either 5mm or 22mm depending on generation. What seems to be happening is that because the majority of cars are front wheel drive and require fairly large positive offset the people providing a lot of the information seem to be missing the - off the number given either that or offset and et are measured opposite to each other which they aren't. Basic principle, offset is the distance between the mounting face of the wheel and the centre line inside to outside. Negative is closer to the inside of the wheel and positive is closer to the outside of the wheel. Front wheel drive tends to be quite positive, rear wheel drive tends to be quite negative and 4x4 tends to be low negative or central. Obviously there are exceptions.

So to answer your question a negative 30 wheel is close enough especially when you factor in the additional width of the wheel as most in the UK are going to be a 7j not a 5.5j.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Mar 2020 06:11 #219308 by Lambert

More
03 Mar 2020 18:58 #219338 by wjamieson
Replied by wjamieson on topic Gen 4 - Steel Wheels
Thanks to the link for the wheels. Now you have got me thinking.

BigJimny Wiki and other sources say "Depending upon trim level, Jimny 3 and 4 are supplied with either alloy or steel wheels, sized 5.5Jx15 ET22" Although I have seen ET5 also being mentioned (www.wheel-size.com/).
If you are correct about minus 22 rather than plus 22 then the -33 would be fine but if plus 22 or plus 5 then the 00 would be a better option. I thought the -33 etc were specifically for people deliberately looking to widen the stance where as I am looking to keep it as close to stock.

The wheels you identified seem to be excellent value just need to figure out 00 or -30.

More
03 Mar 2020 18:59 #219339 by wjamieson
Replied by wjamieson on topic Gen 4 - Steel Wheels
Thank you, meant to reply to you rather than new post. :)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
04 Mar 2020 05:33 #219347 by Lambert
Like I say I wouldn't mind someone with a gen4 actually measuring a wheel so there's certainty but given that the 4 has a wider track than the 3 it seems odd that Suzuki would have extended the axle by about 80mm just to then use a positive offset wheel to then narrow it again, it's much more likely that the axle is virtually identical and the track was widened using a bigger negative offset wheel.

• MartyUK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2020 16:45 #220098 by MartyUK
Replied by MartyUK on topic Gen 4 - Steel Wheels
I bought these a while back: www.jimnybits.com/jimny-18-on/wheels-whe...lar-steel-wheel.html with -15 offset.

I need to find the part number for the tpms sensors.

Heres some pics in case -15 might be too much for you.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2020 17:53 #220100 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Gen 4 - Steel Wheels
Nice pic's, -15 ET look border line. I would go for 0 ET with 215 tyres if I wanted a set of steel wheels.

More
24 Mar 2020 00:21 #220202 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Gen 4 - Steel Wheels
Standard is 5mm. ET0 will cause the wheel to foul on the track rod ends.

15mm is good.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
More
24 Mar 2020 05:21 #220204 by Lambert
I know I am probably wrong but if a standard wheel is et5 ie. 5mm inset then moving to a et0 will move the wheel outwards 5mm giving more room on a similar size wheel and helping minimize the effects of a wider wheel catching?

More
24 Mar 2020 11:14 #220212 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen 4 - Steel Wheels
Standard Gen4 alloys are ET5 - photo of the markings on the rear of mine below. I think you're right Lambert - going from ET5 to ET0 moves the wheel away from the suspension.

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
24 Mar 2020 15:45 #220218 by Lambert
This is unexpected. Useful though as it suggests that all wheels are interchangeable across both generations 3 and 4. There was a suggestion that they were et22, makes more sense that Suzuki would keep as much as possible the same as it reduces production costs. Do we now have to investigate the alleged track width incr?

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds