BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 4 - Under body Protection

More
23 Feb 2020 17:45 #218950 by wjamieson
What's folks thought on under body protection? Quite a lot now available for the Gen4 and quite keen to install most if not all but concerned about weight. The strength of the Jimny is the fact that it is lightweight and agile. Would/does installing the various guards and rock slider materially change the agility of the car and what about ground clearance?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2020 19:10 #218953 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gen 4 - Under body Protection
You ask a good question, I too am about to get some underbody kit. I wanyed to know how much the jimnybits diff gaurds add to the ground clearance. Are they a tight fit etc.

2 diff gaurds, fuel filter, transfer case is the main bits i want. Jimnybits rocksliders are very weighty though, and i always remember martin saying how adding bits and kit just made his jimny a heavy lumbering slug lol.

I too would like some advice here too.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Feb 2020 19:49 #218956 by Lambert
Guards have a place which is primarily directed by the local terrain. Up here it is very rocky and the opportunity to smack something delicate on something hard is quite high. In places with mud guards tend to be a liability for acting like ploughs and getting compacted with goo. At last year's meeting I was still pulling lumps of dried mud out a month later! As to the lack of clearance yes it does reduce it it has to but if it's well designed it should act as a skid and just glide over the obstructions, if it's badly designed it will act as a grappling hook and be hateful.

I have dragged all my guards over various parts of the country and I honestly believe I would have cracked my transfer case by now and that would be a lot more expensive than a guard and considerably more inconvenient than getting a bit stuck.

That said many people don't bother and never do any lasting damage.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 Feb 2020 20:09 - 23 Feb 2020 20:10 #218958 by jackonlyjack
My gen3 running radius guards bashed these hard = must have
front shock guards adds strength
petrol tank guard some good gouges in it = must have
front diff guard took some abuse but does loose you about half inch of clearance
i will be removing mine this summer.I think the diff will take the abuse without it
i don't have transfer guard as i run sj transfer in a cradle made from 5mm steel
Last edit: 23 Feb 2020 20:10 by jackonlyjack.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2020 20:10 #218959 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Gen 4 - Under body Protection
I don't do much off road but where I go is not nice. transfer guard & fuel filter are priority. damage to these areas = long walk home.
Question... is there any reason not to cut off that stupid front tie down point (recovery point) If you fit the bumper recovery bracket on Jimnybits??

More
23 Feb 2020 20:14 #218960 by jackonlyjack

Grima wrote: I don't do much off road but where I go is not nice. transfer guard & fuel filter are priority. damage to these areas = long walk home.
Question... is there any reason not to cut off that stupid front tie down point (recovery point) If you fit the bumper recovery bracket on Jimnybits??

No reason at all to keep the tie down point
But radius arm guards are a must have imo
when i made my rear recovery points i cut original tie downs off

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2020 20:19 #218961 by Grima
Thanks Jack, I was meaning the front one on the Gen 4

More
23 Feb 2020 20:30 #218962 by Soeley
Copied from my Facebook reply:

I have got the following from JimnyBits:
Fuel filter guard
Transfer Box guard
Rock Sliders
Front Recovery points
Rear Recovery points
Can't really say the added weight has made a noticeable difference, but if you were to fit it all in one go you might notice. Mine has been fitted one at a time over the last 12 months.
No change in average mpg either.
The Transfer box guard does lower clearance slightly, but I would rather hit that the the box itself, same with the sliders.

To add to this, I am going to get the radius arm guards and that will be it for me guard wise i think.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2020 20:37 #218963 by Grima
just the man, any thoughts on cutting off the front tie down as it hangs down a lot.

More
23 Feb 2020 20:39 #218964 by jackonlyjack
Just looked on JB at the gen4 front diff guard pretty much the same as gen3

More
23 Feb 2020 20:45 #218965 by Soeley
I have thought about cutting the front one off, I did give it a scrape last time I went out on the lanes. But then I though "If I leave it in place it might act as a pre-warning you're about to hit something?"

Just my way of looking at it, I might change my mind in the future though.

More
23 Feb 2020 20:50 #218966 by wjamieson
Thanks for everybody's comments. Think I will go with the transfer case and the radius arm guards for now at least. Looking forward to 1 week 4x4 trip through the Pyrenees in May hence why I am looking at adding some under body protection.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds