BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tow bar storage question

• AngusChap
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Feb 2020 18:55 #218901 by AngusChap
Tow bar storage question was created by AngusChap
Bit of a technical / best guess question since I’m new to Jimny ownership and thought I would take advantage of all the expertise on this forum.

I’ve just bought a Jimny to use on our little shoot instead of a gator. It has a tow bar attached with a bolt on hitch (see photos). A bloke nearby is selling one of the cargo carriers off amazon (again, see photos) for not much money.

It’s not compatible with the tow bar I have but I wondered if I cut the carrier arm down and welded on a plate with a couple of drilled holes to attach it to my tow bar the Jimny would cope with it. Amazon claims it has a carrying weight of over 200kg - I’d be using it for feed bags / posts etc to save having to use a trailer all the time on some of the rougher ground.

So, after than rather long intro (!), do you reckon it would work and do you reckon the Jimny would cope or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2020 19:06 #218902 by jackonlyjack
Yes welding a plate will work ;)
But load capacity will be lots less maybe 50kg would be a safe weight
Or you could modify your tow pack to a 50mm receiver hitch
even then i would say 100kg max load

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Feb 2020 19:38 #218904 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tow bar storage question
From memory the vertical weight limit is 75kg which is kinda low. The other issue is departure angles and dragging it on the floor won't do it any good. I can get half a dozen 5ft. 6 stakes and tools and a passenger in Dreadnaught but I don't have any back seats. I also have bolted on cross bars instead of the plastic rails that come with the car, these will allow me to take 12ft rails if I want to not have to use a trailer.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• AngusChap
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Feb 2020 07:28 #218922 by AngusChap
Replied by AngusChap on topic Tow bar storage question
Thanks both, that’s kind of what I thought. 200kg seemed optimistic but would have been handy as I could get an extra 10 feed sacks on!

Good point re the rails, realistically I’ll probably get all the basic maintenance done over summer then run her for a winter and see what alterations are required after that!

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds