BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suspension Banging

More
18 Feb 2020 07:16 #218692 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Suspension Banging

kirkynut wrote:
The back box is the tightest fitting part of the exhaust.

Kirkynut

Especially with a tow bar fitted, then it can get very tight.

You can also undo the spare wheel from the rear door and see if the mount there is ok, or if the sound is gone when the wheel is gone.
Have heard very bad noises from cars with broken or worn out hinges but not sure if I seen or heard it on a jimny.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 08:01 #218693 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Suspension Banging
Remember the exhaust can extend a half inch or so when hot from the heat expansion. Most of this will be the back box moving aft.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
24 Feb 2020 08:12 #218989 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Suspension Banging
Have you got to the bottom of this yet?

Have we helped you?

What was it?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
25 Feb 2020 13:11 #219051 by safari
Replied by safari on topic Suspension Banging
check the body mountings where it is bolted to the chassis if rusted it can snatch and only notised on bumps

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

• vinn3h
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 21:56 #219084 by vinn3h
Replied by vinn3h on topic Suspension Banging
Hey guys sorry I have been slow, got pulled into something. So
I have no tow bar installed
I have bounced on the back - makes no noise
the rear door is in good condition as is the rubber seal
have looked under it shocks and springs seem ok
There is movement in the backbox but if i give it a good shake about it still does not hit anything. How much movement is normal?

More
26 Feb 2020 02:25 - 26 Feb 2020 05:22 #219090 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Suspension Banging

vinn3h wrote: There is movement in the backbox but if i give it a good shake about it still does not hit anything. How much movement is normal?

Quite a bit. That was what I was focused on when I had a similar issue. Mine turned out being a loose upper shock mount. You should still hear the noise if you are making the rear move up and down so I doubt the shock mounting is your problem. Easy enough to check the shock fasteners by yourself though.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 05:22 by zukebob.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds