BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Spare wheel question

• Radupuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Feb 2020 21:19 #218563 by Radupuh
Spare wheel question was created by Radupuh
Hello,

I did some more work on my new Jimny, including a new set of 4 Maxxis Trepador Radial MT tires (www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-3-104-trepador-radial-m8060).

I didn't worry too much about the spare tire as I don't have a spare wheel yet (long story short, the alloy wheel I got from the previous owner is too thick to be mounted on the car) but now I want to look into this aspect too.

The problem is that the Trepadors have a directional thread pattern, so a 5th Trepador would be a lousy spare tire (as it would run backwards on one side).

What I'm thinking is getting a different MT tire with a non-directional thread pattern for the spare wheel. Would that work well enough?

What I'm interested in is something I can put on the car in case of a flat tire off-road and be able to drive it back to civilization without transmission damage. Tire rotation likely won't come into play, as I don't expect to do more than 4-5000 km/year with the Jimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2020 21:28 #218565 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Spare wheel question
I have directional tyres for trialling 195/80/16
Also my spare is actually a different size 205/80/16
But down to having remoulds x4 the sizes match in circumference
My spare is kept in the back so doesn't look out of place against the others

More
15 Feb 2020 21:39 - 15 Feb 2020 21:41 #218566 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Spare wheel question

Radupuh wrote: Hello,

What I'm thinking is getting a different MT tire with a non-directional thread pattern for the spare wheel. Would that work well enough?

Yes it will be fine.
It makes sense to keep the same size (unless it can't be avoided) and construction (radial / cross-ply) as the main vehicle tyres, but it will not cause any transmission issues having different tread patterns. Just treat it as a spare and get the original back on as soon as it's fixed.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 15 Feb 2020 21:41 by Scimike.

More
16 Feb 2020 00:08 #218571 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Spare wheel question
A directional tyre is fine as a spare. Why does it matter if it's running the wrong way for a few journeys until the original is fixed?

It doesn't have one of those soppy viscous centre diffs that requires the tread depths to be the same or it will wear out etc.

The spare wheel spacers can be found here:
www.jimnybits.com/jimny/jimaccessories/s...re-wheel-spacer.html

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Feb 2020 05:16 #218572 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Spare wheel question
In my Subaru days I ran various different types of directional tyres over the years and always as sets of 5, on the odd occasion that I had a puncture and had to run one backwards it never presented me with a problem and wherever you are in the UK you are not going to be too far from a tyre place that you can't get the puncture fixed or the spare remounted within a day.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Radupuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2020 07:13 #218575 by Radupuh
Replied by Radupuh on topic Spare wheel question

kirkynut wrote: A directional tyre is fine as a spare. Why does it matter if it's running the wrong way for a few journeys until the original is fixed?

My understanding has always been that a directional thread running the wrong way has pretty bad handling and traction.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Feb 2020 08:45 #218577 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Spare wheel question
But as a spare to get you out of trouble and to a tyre fitting place it's perfectly safe and serviceable. It's also only a 50:50 chance that the tread it the opposite way round and that's only if you actually damage a tyre which doesn't happen every day.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Feb 2020 23:13 #218635 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Spare wheel question

Radupuh wrote:

kirkynut wrote: A directional tyre is fine as a spare. Why does it matter if it's running the wrong way for a few journeys until the original is fixed?

My understanding has always been that a directional thread running the wrong way has pretty bad handling and traction.

Bad handling and traction is a bit over the top. I bet you wouldn't even notice it.

If you were to go racing on the streets like on a rally stage it might make a difference but you'd be dead trying that in a Jimny anyway.

I think you're massively overthinking this.

My tyre fitter has a theory that you put the direction for the nearside on the spare as he sees more punctures on the curb side but I think mine are usually off-side. I've not had one for a while but I bet sods law gives me one now!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Radupuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2020 19:41 - 17 Feb 2020 22:06 #218669 by Radupuh
Replied by Radupuh on topic Spare wheel question
As most of my knowledge about not putting directional threads wrong is internet/hearsay, it's good to hear it's not nearly as bad as it seems.

I think I'm getting a 5th Trepador on the first opportunity.

Thanks everybody for your help!
Last edit: 17 Feb 2020 22:06 by Radupuh.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds