BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Which tow bar?

• Neil54
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2020 21:01 #218246 by Neil54
Which tow bar? was created by Neil54
I want to fit a tow bar to lug around a small camping trailer.
Which one should I fit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2020 21:09 - 09 Feb 2020 21:19 #218247 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Which tow bar?
Assuming your Jimny is a GEN3 I can recommend the Witter with removable swan neck. Not the cheapest (about £160 when I fitted) but fitted perfectly on a standard vehicle and is still perfect after 2.5 years of towing our teardrop caravan. I wanted a removable hitch to avoid covering the numberplate and allow it to stick out when fitted so the door spare did not interfere with parts on my caravan. It also has type approval which is lacking in some cheaper eBay units.
Plenty of alternative makes though, PF Jones sell most www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars.html
If you want to see photos fitted I can post.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2020 21:19 by Scimike.

More
09 Feb 2020 22:26 #218250 by stimpy
Replied by stimpy on topic Which tow bar?
Generally Witter are known as the market leaders.

If your Jimny is an older variant, I have recently taken one off mine - though it may need a wiring kit - can't remember. PM if interested.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Feb 2020 05:29 #218253 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Which tow bar?
I have a witter supplied detachable on Dreadnaught and honestly it is a pain as the fixed part is far too low for a 4x4 and constantly drags on departure. Unfortunately it was dealer supplied so I didn't have a say. If I had I would have gone for a towtrust fixed as it offers much better clearance and it's cheaper too. I have one on the grand vitara and I also put one on the blue Jimny and the Cherokee and they were brilliant.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Feb 2020 13:53 - 10 Feb 2020 13:54 #218263 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Which tow bar?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI fitted a tow bar to my Gen 3 last October. Most makes seemed to be out of stock (including Witter), so ended up with a Umbra Rimorchi (UR) from eBay (biggiddygiddy) for £129. It is excellent and includes a long detachable swan neck (not shown in the ad) and was easy enough to fit, the electrics probably took as long as the tow bar.

It came with a nice cloth bag to keep to tow hitch in and fits in the small tool tray in the boot. There is even a plastic cap for the tow hitch socket when it isn't fitted (also not shown).

It is rated for the full 1,300kg (braked trailer), so easily able to pull a small box trailer. It doesn't hang down too far and fits under the bumper so you don't bask you shins on it.

Overall very satisifed. I would have had a Witter, but they are a good deal more and were out of stock when I wanted one.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 10 Feb 2020 13:54 by DrRobin.

More
11 Feb 2020 10:44 #218288 by DrRobin
Just thought I would add a couple of pictures of my UR tow bar. The swan neck ball joint is not fitted and you can see the plastic cover over the ball joint socket.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:

More
11 Feb 2020 11:25 #218291 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Which tow bar?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

I got this one, seems to be the same one but mine is branded Thule. It tucks well up behind there, other ones seems to either protrude too much back or down for my liking. Detachment still works after 3-4 years.
the downside to it is that it closes the downwards opening to change the rear exhaust muffler, but i found it could be changed out the back thru the hole that the rear bumper covers.
This one retains the 1300kg max trailer weight, some cheaper has max 1000-1100 kg.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
11 Feb 2020 11:29 - 11 Feb 2020 11:29 #218292 by yakuza
Oh and i bught a 13 pin pre wired plug and pray wiring loom for the electricals.. First one i got did not fit as it was for cars with earlier rear ligth arrangment. dunno if english cars has this but here in Norway the rear lights was changed around 2005 from bumper to body.

worked great and has an extra relay for the blinkers to releive the original one.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2020 11:29 by yakuza.

More
11 Feb 2020 16:17 #218310 by DrRobin
I did look at the Brink, but it was also out of stock at PF Jones, so went for the UR. They are very similar. Good to know they keep working for a few years, you do hear of them rusting in place.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
11 Feb 2020 20:25 #218326 by yakuza

DrRobin wrote: I did look at the Brink, but it was also out of stock at PF Jones, so went for the UR. They are very similar. Good to know they keep working for a few years, you do hear of them rusting in place.

No problem to make it rust stuck, just to leave it unattended and not serviced for a year or two. :)

• Neil54
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2020 15:40 #218386 by Neil54
Replied by Neil54 on topic Which tow bar?
Thank you for all your replies.
Yes it's a gen 3 jimny.
I will see what is available.

More
12 Feb 2020 19:02 #218401 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Which tow bar?
If you go for a removable type (sensible as the towball hides the number plate and you will get stopped) make sure that the removable part is very well secured when it is removed, or leave it at home.
It is very heavy and you won't want it flying around if you brake hard. ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds