BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Starting issues after underside gets wet

• jasper27
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2020 21:37 - 02 Feb 2020 21:50 #218005 by jasper27
Right guys, drives an runs mint.. go through any sort of water, switch it off for 5 and it won’t start again unless bump started...

Just changed the crankshaft sensor but it still happened today. Wasn’t keen on idling once it first started, had to give it a good rev for a minute or so an then it was right as rain again..

Becoming annoying, anyone any other ideas?
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Feb 2020 21:50 by jasper27.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2020 22:48 #218006 by kirkynut
I'm a bit stumped.

I'd also have gone for the crank sensor.

How well us the plug sealed from water on the crank sensor on a single cam. I don't have one to look at as mine is a twin cam.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• jasper27
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Feb 2020 22:57 #218008 by jasper27
Replied by jasper27 on topic Starting issues after underside gets wet
It looked fine, it’s got a decent rubber “wrapper” around the plug.

Its definitely no where near as bad as it was before I changed the sensor but it still happened today and it’s a bit stumped now. On a Facebook group I’ve been suggested to check where the crank breather returns.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Feb 2020 05:07 #218010 by Lambert
When you say it needs to be bump started do you mean that the car has to physically pushed and you dump the clutch or do you have to put a jumper cable on from a second source? Does the engine spin and not fire or does the starter system become completely inoperable?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• jasper27
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2020 13:01 - 03 Feb 2020 13:01 #218016 by jasper27
It physically has to be pulled/pushed to be clutch dumped! Tried jumping it with a secondary jeep one time and it made no difference at all.

Starter ticks over but won’t fire. Just turns and turns, after first starting from the bump it’s not too keen on idling and requires around 30seconds to a minute of keeping the revs up and then after that it’s absolutely fine.

The Facebook group has suggested checking the crankcase breather pipes so I’m going to do that since already replaced the sensor itself
Last edit: 03 Feb 2020 13:01 by jasper27.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Feb 2020 16:50 #218020 by Lambert
Ok. First thought is that the solenoid is not firing the starter gear into the flywheel but instead is allowing the motor to spin in the disengaged position..i would start with checking the connectors on a starter motor for general condition and that they are making good contact. After that I would bench test it with a view to eliminating it as the problem or replacing if defective. The fact that the car will start with a push suggests that it is getting all the correct signals from the sensors.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jasper27

• jasper27
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2020 18:08 #218025 by jasper27
I’ll have a look into that Lambert.

Thank you

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
03 Feb 2020 18:45 #218031 by Riccy
second for the starter motor. check the small wire with the push on clip connector. I had endless problems with that at one point :angry:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: jasper27

• jasper27
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Feb 2020 15:36 #218171 by jasper27
Update:

So I was at my mates garage the other day fixing transfer box mounts, had to bump start it to get it on the truck, the same to get it on the ramp. So when it came to taking it off and it wouldn’t start we started diagnostics.

No fault code from the crank sensor so the replacement I fitted has fixed that. When I bought it I was told the TPS was broken so it was unplugged. With it plugged in it wouldn’t start at all. This has been all good. When at the garage we decided to check the spark; that was fine (also had a booster on the battery). This then pointed to fuelling. So we took the breather off the intake and sprayed some brake cleaner and she started trying to actually combust. So with some more spraying and a pull on the throttle cable she started and immediately you could hear the switch over from it struggling for fuel to running perfect.

Based on this, and the fact it’s the only two codes it has I’ve just ordered a TPS. An I’m hoping that this is then the end of this!

• jasper27
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2020 19:20 #218810 by jasper27
FIXED

After replacing the missing throttle position sensor I no longer have any starting issues.

I wonder if fixing the crankshaft sensor and then clearing the codes caused it to have some sort of issue which then made it not turn over from the key at all.

However, just wanted to close this up incase anyone else has a similar issue.

More
24 Feb 2020 07:46 #218987 by kirkynut
Brilliant, thanks for your input.

It will no doubt help someone in the future!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds