BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

06 VVT ECU pinout/wiring diagram needed for ITB plans

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
28 Jan 2020 19:01 #217781 by Riccy
Hello you technical lot!

I am at the planning stage for a throttle body/ecu conversion on Ulysses and need some technical help. Skip to the bottom paragraph if you dont want the back story to it...

Stage 1 was to sort out the exhaust (done, nice 4-2-1 manifold and 2.5" system built and fitted/working, if a little loud).

Stage 2 was talk to the local dyno tuner guy, a convenient 3 miles away from home. Nice bloke called Johnny at his company JDM Dyno on Kirkbride airfield. Good 2 hr chat/catch-up (ive known him for about 10 years) and it seems he really knows his stuff (even builds & sells his own dyno machines). Hes not familiar with the Suzuki M series engines, but doesn't see a problem with it and I trust his skills to sort it out. Questions about VVT and ancillaries like aircon didn't seem an issue and he offered for me to bring it to his large workshop and fit the parts there with his guidance.

We discussed the various options for ECUs as that will need to be changed for the rolling road tune. So far ive looked at ME221 from DanST engineering and an emerald K6 from emerald3d. Johnny suggested both would be adequate but also reccomended the one he usually uses instead (S60pro from DTAfast). This unit has all the necessary ins and outs to do the job required and allow for future options as well. Similar money so I am pretty tempted to go for it, especially as its a unit he is familiar with/recommends. We also checked his programming software and it supports the unusual 36 tooth pattern on the crank trigger wheel currently fitted in my M18 conveniently. It also has the facility for traction control (not so handy for me) and launch control (very tempting) :evil:

So Stage 3 is ordering various bits. The ITB's will be coming from DanST engineering and are refurbished GSXR600 units on a custom made plate for the M18's larger ports. Johnny will order the ECU and connectors. I need to find a inline fuel filter and a Walbro 255 fuel pump (though the pump might not be needed). Hopefully get most of that ordered this week. He is leaving off ordering the ECU until hes had a good look at the existing sensors to check what they are and what signal they produce. One thing we really do need is some wiring diagrams...

Stage 4 onwards is yet to be decided, but I have requested that Johnny allows me some space in his busy diary before the end of April for fitting and tuning, meaning enough time for some testing before the bigjimny.com meet :-)

So sorry to have bored you with all that, basically what I need is a ECU pin-out diagram from the proper suzuki manuals for a M13VVT jimny 2006 (if a reg is needed mine is J999 MNY, even though its an '06). We need this to establish which wire at the existing ECU plug goes where/does what in the hope of re-using the wiring loom where possible. They are all colour coded so there should be some reference data somewhere for what each one does. I suspect rhinoman may be the forum member I need, but I havent seen posts from him for a while...

Thanks in advance,
Riccy

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2020 19:23 #217784 by mlines
Mail/PM me the VIN

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
28 Jan 2020 19:58 #217785 by sniper
Sorry I can't be any help with your wiring needs, but I just wanted to say that I'm chuffed to bits you are going down that path....

I am pretty sure that given a good tuner, the M18 VVT will produce over 150bhp on ITB's in a relatively mild / easy to drive tune.

From conversations with some of the Suzuki saloon car chaps, big bore 1.9's are pushing 180-190 bhp with cams. CTC's 2ltr is over 200bhp.

It may surprise you......

Looking forward to a blast when you are "in tune".

sniper

More
28 Jan 2020 22:17 #217792 by Keithy
Sounds like fun!

Are you going sequential injection and ignition?

It's not a big job to make the loom....if you know any decent electricians ;)

Ecu is a good idea....at least the timing can be adjusted to suit the 1.8 engine.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Jan 2020 05:22 #217796 by Lambert
1.8 on itb's, that is going to wail at full revs, looking forward to seeing and hearing it at Tong.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
29 Jan 2020 17:53 #217816 by Riccy
Big thanks to Martin who was able to provide the info I needed, Thanks again!

Im getting excited about it too John. Some more power will then inevitably lead to more expense for brake improvements or other exciting things, but you will get a drive for sure mate ;-)

Im not sure about the sequential injection and COP yet Keith. I dont really know enough about it. Is there any great advantage to be had?

I wanted to keep the loom as its all there already and much tho I am an electrician, just not an auto-electrician. Theres things in there that I have no clue about! With the factory loom there will be too much of it if anything. A full new harness as a kit is about £300, so a big saving to be had. Some bits of it will need modified no doubt, but at least the groundwork is all done. I am trying to keep with stock sensors where possible to make future maintenance easier.

It will be noisy Lambert, but it is already with the 2.5" exhaust :huh: . I will still want it to breathe through a snorkel, so when the air filter backing plate arrives with its pipercross filter I can have a look at building my own stainless plenum chamber and snorkel. The place I got the exhaust parts from sell much larger pipe/bends so I was thinking of maybe a 4" stainless snorkel to replace the plastic one. It should be able to breathe better through that :evil: :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
30 Jan 2020 09:35 #217841 by sniper
I had a look back to when I was plotting the same plan, the ME221 ecu lists this...

VE Based Fuelling
Fully Sequential Injection
Wasted Spark Ignition
Boost Control
Configurable Inputs/Outputs
Advanced Motorsport Features
Plug-n-Play Loom Options
Powerful MEITE Tuning Suite
Idle & Lambda Control
VVT Control
DSP Knock Windowing
Switchable Maps

Currently £695....

Sniper

More
01 Feb 2020 19:50 #217942 by Keithy

Riccy wrote: Im not sure about the sequential injection and COP yet Keith. I dont really know enough about it. Is there any great advantage to be had?

Nope only small and mainly at higher revs

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds