BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil leak at rear of engine and flickering oil light on idle

• AWG81
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2020 08:37 #217760 by AWG81
Hi all, I recently acquired a 2000 1.3 Jimny and have just discovered an oil leak at the rear of the engine (amongst other problems) - the cam cover gasket looks fine and the leak seems to be coming from the lower of the two “bits” on the back of the engine and it’s dripping down onto the bell housing. It looks just like a plate with 2 bolts holding it on but it’s difficult to see exactly what’s going on down there - can anyone shed any light on what this is and how I can fix the leak? The oil light is also flickering occasionally on idle but I guess if I have a leak then oil pressure will be a touch low causing the light to come on?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2020 09:02 #217761 by Max Headroom
Sounds like access is a problem and in any case this needs a proper fix, but a temporary trick I've done on leaky joints is to thoroughly degrease the area. particularly around the edges of the joint and apply several coats of clear engine lacquer - of course this isn't ideal and you may not have access anyway.

I don't know where it will be but there must be an oil pressure switch somewhere that puts the light on - consider a faulty pressure switch or wiring - but be cautious about that in case the pressure really is low; its just another thing to check

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• AWG81
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2020 16:46 #217776 by AWG81
Thanks for the reply - on further inspection I think the leak might be coming from the upper of the two parts at the back of the engine. Cam end cover?

More
30 Jan 2020 08:24 #217837 by kirkynut
Do a bit of Googling to find your oil pressure sensor and replace it asap. I've not had cause to look for it before.

It's impossible to say where your leak is without looking at it.

You have checked the oil level haven't you? I'm not trying to be funny but you never know!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds