BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rough running on start

• Max Headroom
  • Max Headroom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • OPEN AIR MOTORING... 93 MILLION MILES OF HEADROOM
More
20 Jan 2020 20:19 #217465 by Max Headroom
Ok this is a bit of an intermittent issue, its happened a good few times now. When it does happen its VERY noticeable to say the least.

First start of the day - warm/dry wet/cold weather (makes no difference) car starts but runs like a bag of nails poppoing and spluttering but doesnt stall. - close though.
I usually rev through it and it eventually sorts itself out, and it's then fine for a number of weeks without any recurrence. I suspect a sensor somewhere but would like the opinion of anyone else more familiar with the Jimny than I am

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2020 21:49 #217469 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rough running on start
Intermittent problems are the worst, much easier if it just stops.
As a first step how about going old school and take a look at the colour of the plugs? If they all look the same then it's likely a common problem, as you say sensor etc. If one is noticeably different to the rest it suggests a localised problem, this could be plug, coil, injector etc.
At the same time check all the connectors etc for dirt or damage.
Just a starter suggestions.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Max Headroom
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
20 Jan 2020 22:25 #217471 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Rough running on start
Thanks Scimike. I've not had much time the next job to do is sort the poor heater out (you probably read about Lambert's fix on his - I plan to do the same)

I have looked at a few connectors but not found anything obvious - all are in good shape - no corrosion or oil etc.

Its not due a service until May, so I'm hoping it will behave itself until then when the weather warms up a bit and I can get some more time on it myself using the light of the longer evenings

I guess I'm asking if there are any 'usual suspects' for this kind of fault.

• skinnymik
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2020 23:11 #217473 by skinnymik
Replied by skinnymik on topic Rough running on start
Do you have any problems starting? ie it's spinning but won't start until you give it a little gas, then runs lumpy for a few mins & then sorts itself out?

Would be good to know, as I have the same issue. Got it booked in next week.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jan 2020 05:08 #217474 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rough running on start
Dreadnaught did this a few years ago, running on 3 cylinders and popping and banging that then cleared. At the time I was using a set of aftermarket plug leads because I had been trying to find a flat spot at 2k rpm that was plug related. Anyway, so I switched to new genuine leads and bingo no more trying to run on 3. In fact I am feeling that it eventually did it while being driven not just starting and that was what triggered the fault finding. Never gave me a code though not even for a misfire. This is on an m13a vvt others may be different.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Max Headroom
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
21 Jan 2020 06:37 #217475 by Max Headroom
Thanks for the replies Skinnymik & Lambert, you both have summed it up quite nicely with your descriptions.
I have no code to read and this is also on a M13A VVT.

No problems starting Skinny - it starts alright (though it has a new battery in it, so all is well there)

Like you Lambert I do feel I'm losing a bit of power sometimes during a journey - notably on hills; It doesn't seem as smooth running as my neighbours car but she has a G type engine in hers so I can't make any comparison

I'll take a look at the plugs and investigate changing the replacing plugs and leads - theres been some talk of particular types of plugs but I'll have to look for it unless you guys know whats best?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jan 2020 08:41 #217476 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rough running on start
Plugs are ngk iridium, horrifically expensive but last a very long time. There is some variation in smoothness in the m13a that seems to relate to servicing, some I have heard are like tractors and others like mine are barely audible and smooth as satin.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Jan 2020 10:41 #217479 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rough running on start
Suzuki recommend both Iridium and Nickel plugs for the M13A, so you don't need to fit the expensive Iridium type just to keep the engine happy. You need to balance the cost of the various plugs with labour/time to change to determine which work out more cost effective plug for your circumstances, or just fit whatever floats your boat.
I have used a few types in my own M13A and never noticed any performance difference, so it is purely a life of plug thing.
These are the plugs I have used, they range in price from £2.50 to £8 ish each, currently on the most expensive the BERU which has an extended service life compared to the others. On the subject of service life you need to look at the individual manufacturers data sheet, they tend to quote a time / max milage to change figure, even Iridium type plugs don't last forever.

BERU UXT14
Bosch Super 4
NGK BKR6E-11

It's another subject that has many options, it's just like the subject of "which oil?" No wrong answers, but in general anything new is usually better than old and worn out.

Have fun
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Max Headroom
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
21 Jan 2020 13:33 #217480 by Max Headroom
Thanks for your input Mike - really appreciate your experience (or anyone's) and the recommendations

I'll try and find time to pull the plugs and have a look at them to see if there is any story to tell.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds