BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rusty around body mounting outrigger

More
11 Jan 2020 11:43 #217169 by RogersJimmy
My 2001 model just failed its MOT on rust in the offside sills, in particular the floor around / under the front offside body mounting. Having looked at this with the MOT inspector in his pit, it would appear to be an awkward place to get at to repair.

The garage suggested cutting off the outrigger in order to weld in a patch from underneath, and then weld it back on again. Is this the best way to go? The floor seems to be double skinned in this area

There are two other areas of rust, one in front of the rear wheelarch and the other half way along above the radius arm mounting, both holes about 25mm diameter, but seem easy to patch weld.

Any suggestions for the best way forward please?

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2020 20:28 #217186 by stimpy
To be honest it is hard to comment without a picture as there is often more than one way to approach any issue.

Personally I wouldn't cut the outrigger off unless I had to. I would undo the body mount and cut the floor piece from inside if possible, lift the whole bit up then work back from there...

But may not be possible....
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
12 Jan 2020 17:30 #217212 by Keithy
They do tend to rust slightly eh!

Take some pictures and post back....I've just about built a complete Jimny by weld repairs....is it this area?

Attachments:

More
13 Jan 2020 13:02 #217230 by RogersJimmy

Keithy wrote: They do tend to rust slightly eh!

Take some pictures and post back....I've just about built a complete Jimny by weld repairs....is it this area?

Thanks for your helpful replies. Here are a couple of pics of the two worst areas, the one by the front outrigger being the most tricky to access.
Attachments:

More
13 Jan 2020 13:17 #217231 by Keithy
One looks straightforward but the other needs the body lifting :( not fun but if those are the only rot sites it's not too bad.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Jan 2020 14:14 #217235 by Lambert
I personally think that lifting the body like Keithy suggests is the best option. I would not be happy with an mot garage cutting off and rewelding the outrigger unless they are some kind of classic car restoration place. I've had to repair one too many mot garage weld bodges.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Jan 2020 21:30 - 15 Jan 2020 04:59 #217273 by stimpy
Body lift or blag it I'd say...

Once the bolts are loosened the body lifts up very easily - you'll only need enough space to remove the rubbers, then cut the rot out and replace.

The chassis ladder repair you could do in situ as is from the look of it.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2020 04:59 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds