BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Bad day for my Jimny...timing belt slipped

More
05 Jan 2020 21:02 #217030 by Reason2doubt
On my way down to Swansea after the Christmas break and I pulled off the M1 to take a quick break. I head a faint noise coming from the engine bay but nothing that was of any concern when I checked under the bonnet. Drove for approximately 30 seconds (car running fine) to the Shell garage attached to the service station, paid £50 for fuel (bloody motorway markup!) and turned the car on and there was a large knocking noise!

Reversed the car back and tucked it into a car parking space just next to the pumps and took another look thinking perhaps the front fan was hitting something but it wasn't. Checked oil - all good. Temperature had been fine all day sitting in the middle. Turned the key and the car ran, but there was an occassional hesistation when I noticed the engine block jump slightly. Revved the engine gently and it didn't smooth out and just exagerated the problem - the noise got louder.

Called the RAC fearing the worst that my engine was about to bust itself open. The mechanic diagnosed it as the engine timing belt coming loose and it was slapping on the inside of the plastic cover at the front (G13B engine); he thinkgs it has skipped a little, but not enough to do any serious damage. He prised the top of the cover off and the belt tensioner was loose/busted (he couldn't quite see from the angle without all the other bits out) but the belt had a good 1 inch play on it. I think I could have actually slid it off with my fingers!

I got it on the flatbed to a garage down in Swansea. Fingers crossed the little Jim will be okay upon further inspection and that it hadn't done any major damage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2020 21:43 #217032 by Soeley
Hope it's just a new belt and tensioner then and nothing more serious.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jan 2020 05:06 #217034 by Lambert
That's good to dampen your day, when I had the defender it did that to me because of britpart components, it's not good. Hopefully you stopped using it in time.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Jan 2020 12:11 #217050 by Reason2doubt
Went into the garage today, they said that if it was still running it should not have damaged anything severely (metal crashing into metal) and they initially think it may not have skipped but that it could have been the belt slack causing some very slight incremental delay given the hiccup/hesitation most noticeable at the exhaust.

Should find out later on...

Owning a Jimny has made me very sensitive to sounds and I really feel I know when its not running as it should. Just glad I am not deaf otherwise I think it might have been a different story! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

More
06 Jan 2020 16:29 #217060 by jackonlyjack
I thought G series engines where none interference
Meaning the belt can snap with no damage incurred
I could be wrong........... i am sure someone will be along to confirm either way
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

More
06 Jan 2020 18:00 #217064 by Reason2doubt

jackonlyjack wrote: I thought G series engines where none interference
Meaning the belt can snap with no damage incurred
I could be wrong........... i am sure someone will be along to confirm either way

If that's the case that would be great... I will look into that as I didn't realise that was a thing. I just thought when it was all out of sync it was going to end badly.

More
06 Jan 2020 18:17 #217065 by mlines
They are non interference.

Replace belt and whatever failed, re-time it and off you go

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

More
06 Jan 2020 18:40 #217067 by Reason2doubt

mlines wrote: They are non interference.

Replace belt and whatever failed, re-time it and off you go

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Best news ever. Thanks Martin!!

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds