BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

1 Inch Spring Spacers?

More
02 Jan 2020 12:24 - 02 Jan 2020 12:26 #216918 by Soeley
I've done a quick search and couldn't find anything specific, if there is a thread on this I have missed the please point me to it.

I was just wondering about the Pros & Cons of fitting 1 inch spring spacers?
I don't really need to go down the full 2" lift kit route, but having given my front radius arm bracket a good bash it has made me think. (Waiting for Jimnybits to release them).

If I was to go this route, from what I have read nothing else would need changing?
how would it affect the shocks?

Or would a 1" body lift be better/simpler (absolutely no idea!)?

Cheers.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 12:26 by Soeley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jan 2020 13:22 #216920 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 1 Inch Spring Spacers?
A basic understanding of how it all plays together is that any lift of any kind only helps to marginally improve the approach, ramp and departure angles it doesn't give any more meaningful clearance under the vehicle as the wheels and therefore axles are at the same height they already were. What a suspension lift does is provide more space for bigger tyres. Bigger tyres as well as increasing the clearance under the axles also combine with the suspension lift to further increase the approach, ramp and departure angles. The problem is that you have now noticeably raised the centre of gravity of the car and impaired the lateral stability and altered the suzspension and steering geometries. With a body lift all you achieve is some more clearance for bigger tyres but you don't have the cumulative increase in the angles as the chassis is still in the same place relative to the axles. What you can do though is just fit the bigger tyres on their own as that maintains the standard suspension and steering geometries but gives the clearance under the axles and also the chassis.

To answer your question yes you probably will see a marginal improvement in ramp angle with a spacer lift and it's the easiest to do. A body lift in the other hand won't really help and will be a relatively big job to do.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
02 Jan 2020 13:42 #216925 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic 1 Inch Spring Spacers?
I don't even know why I mentioned body lift now (must have started rambling) as I knew what you have just said :blush:

My line of thought with the spacers though, was that it would lift the chassis and anything above it, but axles would remain as is?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jan 2020 14:02 #216929 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 1 Inch Spring Spacers?
It will do that for what it is worth but just improving your angles alone is not really going to improve your ability to cover ground. Taller tyres are while expensive, the easiest way to more useful clearance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Jan 2020 14:06 #216932 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic 1 Inch Spring Spacers?
I like my 1" body lift
Makes it easier to wash mud from round body mounts.
Also makes it easier to change gearbox oil.
Yes it's not an easy job to do but worth it in my opinion.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
02 Jan 2020 17:11 - 02 Jan 2020 17:12 #216942 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic 1 Inch Spring Spacers?
Make some radius arm guards... they are pretty simple.

1. Measure the width of the mounts at the widest point and buy some box steel with the internal size of the external mount measurement, about 15cm per guard (so 30cm is enough as the box is cut diagonally, if the same size all round).

2. Cut into short lengths to suit the arms then cut it diagonally to end up with a triangle shaped channel Drill some 12.5mm holes for the bolt. If you want also drill some smaller holes to bolt in in a second place (this stops it spinning when the car flexes ~ have a look at the gen3 jimnybits ones. thats what the 6mm bolt is for ;-) ). These could even be self tapping screws into the mount. Round off the bottom egde and paint.

3. Fit by undoing and removing the mounting bolt, slide guard over and bung it back through. If the mount is recessed a little (like on a gen3) then you should fit some thick washers to make up the gap to the guard.

Grinder and a drill is all you need for them :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 02 Jan 2020 17:12 by Riccy.

More
02 Jan 2020 19:13 #216946 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic 1 Inch Spring Spacers?
Thanks Riccy, that is certainly something to consider. I'd not really given DIY guards a thought ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
02 Jan 2020 23:38 #216949 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic 1 Inch Spring Spacers?
Has Riccy says ;)
Also you will need a thick M12 (around 4mm) washer to put on the outside of original mount
In between your guard and mount

More
03 Jan 2020 17:07 #216962 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic 1 Inch Spring Spacers?

jackonlyjack wrote: I like my 1" body lift
Makes it easier to wash mud from round body mounts.
Also makes it easier to change gearbox oil.
Yes it's not an easy job to do but worth it in my opinion.

I liked my Bodylift as well on my SJ, should be same pro's and cons for the jimny.
Made room for rocksliders at the sides without loosing clearance.
Made room for lifting the transfer box and exhaust (and gas tank) so I could have a flat belly skid plate.
most important made room for 2" bigger tires together with some cutting of the fenders.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds