BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New Jimny wobbly wheels(balancing)

More
21 Dec 2019 12:40 #216668 by OctaneJimny
Hi all,

Basically..... I've had some new all terrain tyres fitted to my new 2019 Jimny SZ5 but the place I took it said they couldn't balance them as they couldn't remove the centre caps from the alloys to allow them to fit on the shaft of the balancing machine. So as it stands my I get steering wheel judder at anything over 40.

Is this a difficult thing to remove. Does it require a special tool from Suzuki or where I took my car is just full of incompetent mechanics?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated before I try another garage that isn't suzuki.

Thanks.
Joey.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-ivory-manual#210539
Instagram: OctaneJimny
FB: Suzuki Jimny 4th gen (JB64 JB74) owners club

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2019 12:46 #216669 by jackonlyjack
If they're like the gen 3 just push out
Best way i've found is put the wheel on floor cap facing up
Press your foot on it even as possible

Last two sets i have fitted have balance beads in them
www.devon4x4.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Balance+beads

Jack

More
21 Dec 2019 13:06 #216670 by OctaneJimny
Thank you sir! I'll take it up to another one of my local garages then. Its my first car with this sort of set up on the wheels so I'm unfamiliar with it. My Mrs went to a garage that her dad uses and swapped her gen3 tyres and balanced them no problem as I know they just pop out.

More
21 Dec 2019 16:38 #216677 by Gadget
When I swapped onto A/Ts my tyre place had exactly the same problem. They rang me up and said they had a "big problem", got to the workshop and they explained all the techniques they'd tried to knock the centre caps out, from inner to outer #facepalm. Even as a new Jimny owner it only took me about 10 seconds to realise they should be pushed inwards to remove. Cue much embarrassment and muttering of "we've never seen ones that go that way". :P

More
21 Dec 2019 17:28 - 21 Dec 2019 17:33 #216678 by facade

OctaneJimny wrote: Is this a difficult thing to remove. Does it require a special tool from Suzuki or where I took my car is just full of incompetent mechanics?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated before I try another garage that isn't suzuki.

If they look at the shelf at the side of/under the balancing machine, they will find a steel flange that has studs on. They adjust the studs to the PCD of the wheel, and fit the flange to the conical shaft of the balancer. They then bolt the wheel to it and balance it properly. ;)

This is a lot more work, and some of them don't even know that they have the flange.

[If the shaft comes too far through the flange, then they will need to pop the centre inwards as Gadget says.]

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 21 Dec 2019 17:33 by facade.

More
21 Dec 2019 21:10 #216685 by Soeley
Surely all centre caps fit this way otherwise they would fall out whilst driving?

More
21 Dec 2019 21:52 #216686 by mlines

Soeley wrote: Surely all centre caps fit this way otherwise they would fall out whilst driving?

The small centre caps on land rover/range rover push forward out of the wheels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
22 Dec 2019 11:34 #216696 by Soeley

mlines wrote:

Soeley wrote: Surely all centre caps fit this way otherwise they would fall out whilst driving?

The small centre caps on land rover/range rover push forward out of the wheels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Every day is a learning day :whistle:

More
22 Dec 2019 14:55 #216702 by OctaneJimny
Thanks everyone for you input. I popped into another garage and he popped out to have a look and he said "yeah that should just push out" but unfortunately they won't be able to fit my Jimny in until after Xmas. I would have had a wheel of myself but not had time to do it in daylight. The excitement of now nobbly tyres has worn very thin very fast with this one. Again thanks everyone.

More
22 Dec 2019 18:48 #216711 by Soeley
Just been reading this thread again and I'm not sure if I've missed something?

Bearing in mind, the only wheel I have removed from my Gen4 is the spare, and that was to fit a centre cap as I have removed the wheel cover.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it just the rear wheels that have the removable centre caps? So the garage would only have difficulty balancing the rear wheels if they couldn't remove them?
The front shouldn't have been a problem?

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds