BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:2001 Jimny 4WD won't stay engaged

More
22 Dec 2019 10:36 #216694 by facade
Oops!!! :blush:

In my post about the switch, it should read that the ballbearing drops into a groove only in 2wd, so the switch should be "on" and the light on all the time, except when the selector is in 2wd.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AWG81
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Dec 2019 09:32 #216725 by AWG81
Replied by AWG81 on topic Re:2001 Jimny 4WD won't stay engaged
Thanks everyone for the replies. After a bit of fiddling and poking with the wiring around the switch on the transfer box, the 4WD light comes on and now stays on when selected. It's not perfect though and sometimes doesn't work, so the wiring or switch must be dodgy and will need fixing properly - but for now at least I know it all works and where the problem is! Does anyone know where I can get a replacement switch or have a part number? The one on the store here is for 2005 and onwards models.

Thanks again - I'm sure this won't be the last time I need help.

More
23 Dec 2019 10:20 #216728 by Me and my Jimny
Hi, if it's still a bit intermittent, there is a way to make sure it stays in., I did this after my body lift as a 'temporary' fix. I've just got a webbing strap and screwed it onto the gear lever plastic cover screws, then loop over the 4wd lever and tighten when I need it to stay on 4 low. Worked fine all day at the meet

More
23 Dec 2019 10:36 #216729 by jackonlyjack
Or you can also remove the switch,use a dremmel type tool
grind away the araldite and re soldier the connections and seal back up with silicone

Love the ingenuity of the ratchet strap :cheer:

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds