BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

HELP! Jimny Burning Fuel - 12L/100km

• Jace
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2019 15:17 #215957 by Jace
Hi Guys,

My Jimny 2011 has recently begun using loads of fuel. The exhaust is black with soot and I can smell the fumes are rich with fuel.

I have replaced the spark plugs, air filters etc. Nothing seems to be mechanically broken.

Last year November my catalytic converters gave out and I replaced them with a quality free-flow exhaust. Everything was running fine but I started noticing about a two month back that my fuel economy became high. I'm averaging 12L/100. When we replaced it I didn't chip it or have any modification to fix the check engine light.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2019 15:32 - 25 Nov 2019 15:33 #215959 by facade
I'd start by looking at the pre-cat lambda sensor, this controls the fueling.

If it stinks of fuel then it must be miles out, and I'd expect the engine light to be on, as it must have hit the end of the fuel trims.

Mind you, a 2011 with no catalyst should have put the light on anyway- has some one been at it and nobbled the post cat sensor with one of those "fixer" pipes? - (actually, I'd start with checking for fault codes, I'm guessing there aren't any?)

If it has been nobbled, and is just running open loop all the time, I'd check fuel pressure, and then for a stuck injector, either mechanically stuck, or an electrical short keeping it open.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 25 Nov 2019 15:33 by facade.

More
25 Nov 2019 20:49 #215963 by Scimike

Jace wrote: When we replaced it I didn't chip it or have any modification to fix the check engine light.

It's likely to be something caused by the recent changes, as Facade said the Lambda (or lack of?) Is a likely cause. If I am reading your post correctly it appears you do have engine light on, so start by reading any fault codes and address these issues to put the light out.
All the best
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
26 Nov 2019 08:16 #215969 by facade
Another possibility comes to mind, the engine temperature sensor. If this is disconnected, or failed the ecu thinks the engine is cold and runs rich- the equivalent of being on choke all the time.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds