BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

3.5 - 4" lift few questions

• Jeep4life
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2019 09:21 #215230 by Jeep4life
3.5 - 4" lift few questions was created by Jeep4life
Hi all,
my Jimny now has 2.5" jimnybits lift + front longer brake lines and front caster corrected arms. also got Higher rear Panhard bracket.
i thought about changing my shocks as they are Dobinsons and are very very hard.
what you guys think about putting 1.5" spring spacer and get some longer and softer shocks from Monroe?
does corrected bushes front and rear will do the job for the caster?
it will be necessary to get new Panhards?
what about spacer for the Driveshaft for this lift?

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Oct 2019 17:22 #215237 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 3.5 - 4" lift few questions
I'm the wrong person to answer this really but yes you are going to need all those things at 4 odd inches. Why out of interest are you going so high? It is definitely going to have an adverse impact on road manners and place stress on a lot of components meaning more maintenance and more frequent breakdowns.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Jeep4life
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2019 08:06 #215244 by Jeep4life
Replied by Jeep4life on topic 3.5 - 4" lift few questions
Most of my off-road is Rock crawling so more Flex and some more ground clearance are welcome.
currently on 215/75/15 but thinking about going on 235 sometime.
i have seen lots of 4" kits for the Jimny so i do not think its so radical..
the thing is if its really going to make lot of damage with the right corrections?

More
31 Oct 2019 11:12 #215247 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic 3.5 - 4" lift few questions
I've been running a 4" lift and 31" tyres for the last 2 years and actually using it off-road....corrected arms and poly bushes and panhards etc.

No issues to report....very rare anything touches underneath.
Attachments:

• Jeep4life
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2019 11:23 #215248 by Jeep4life
Replied by Jeep4life on topic 3.5 - 4" lift few questions

Keithy wrote: I've been running a 4" lift and 31" tyres for the last 2 years and actually using it off-road....corrected arms and poly bushes and panhards etc.

No issues to report....very rare anything touches underneath.

Hi Keithy,
Beautiful jimny you got there!
What is your lift kit included ?
I wonder if only corrected bushes will do or I should also get corrected arm for the rear.
What changes did you do in order to fit the 31 ? Regear?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Oct 2019 17:19 #215253 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 3.5 - 4" lift few questions
The issue is that you are starting to chase more clearance and flex from a small lightweight car. So ok you lift the suspension in a suitable way that everything still works reasonably well and nothing catches, this gives you the room to fit taller tyres which you again get working reasonably well with a regear, that's all good. Then you go and use it properly, not just mincing about but serious use and suddenly you start ripping off chassis brackets because they aren't designed to take the increase in force exerted by the bigger angles everything is working at nor are they designed for the increased rotating masses of the bigger tyres, and if it's not ripping off brackets it's mashing cv joints or bearings. So what do you do, make everything stronger which makes everything heavier which applies more force to everything up stream of the things you have strengthened or modified and without realizing you have created more problems than you have solved. I too like rocky terrain and being from North Yorkshire its predominantly what I have to drive on. However I don't have a lift or even big tyres,I just have some armour plates and follow my own lines to get where I want to be relying on the lightness of my Jimny and it's inherent relative strength to weight reliability.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Oct 2019 19:55 #215258 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic 3.5 - 4" lift few questions

Jeep4life wrote:
Hi Keithy,
Beautiful jimny you got there!
What is your lift kit included ?
I wonder if only corrected bushes will do or I should also get corrected arm for the rear.
What changes did you do in order to fit the 31 ? Regear?

It has jimnybits 4" lift and corrected arms front and rear...adjustable panhards front and rear a 25mm spacer on the front prop.

Still running standard gearing with the 31's....could be a benefit to go slower but I find it just fine on parkamoor and strata....rock crawling only might benefit from a decent downgear....removed the anti roll bar after the 4" lift....the droplunks were at a useless angle.

You'll need the front arms a little longer to get clearance on the front A post area so front and rear is preferred....I was lucky with all the parts.

With the change in angle at the rear it rises more under acceleration....anti dive at the front is...."interesting"

If you're near Leeds come for a spin.

More
01 Nov 2019 16:47 #215269 by kirkynut
Personally, having gone down the 3" lift, castor correction arms, rocklobster box, 235/75/15 tyres route, for what you are doing with your Jimny, I think I would stick 215/75/15 mud terrains on it and get some different shocks to match the lift you have now.

Rock crawling is all about picking the right line and if you watch the Japanese doing it on YouTube, you'll see that they do it with very narrow but slightly taller tyres but no gearing change. Yet they do it far more extreme than you are.

I got my Jimny where it is now for mud plugging through deep ruts in woodland. I don't do that now mind.

I'd get some rock sliders though!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• HG0606
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2019 18:50 #215367 by HG0606
Replied by HG0606 on topic 3.5 - 4" lift few questions
Rock Crawling is my favourite sort of off roading to do too! Slow technical stuff like parkammor in the lake district. Having tried many different suspension set ups (2 inch springs, 3 inch springs, 4 inch springs) and various shocks i can honestly say the best i have found is a pair of front springs on the rear, and a pair of light duty + 2's on the front, this gives just under a 2 inch lift, but then use the arms you would on a 4 inch kit (jimnybits) as they are slightly longer than standard so your front wheel doesn't come as near to the sill when flexing and with a slight trim you can run 245/75/16 tyres (30.5 inch roughly) this keeps the centre of gravity low and unlike big 4 inch springs they are not rock solid- i'm sure many will disagree with me on this though! I run longer (i think +3) vit mods shocks, with home made bottom extended mounts that allow more flex stil. Biggest thing i found was when i put the 6.5 trailmaster gear in the transfer box, this really makes it good as you can go so slow and its really controllable- will literally just crawl up stuff in low 2nd on tickover. just thought that would give you something to think about really as taller isn't always better like Lambert and others have said....
Attachments:

More
04 Nov 2019 20:54 #215368 by jackonlyjack
I run 3" arm's on a 2" lift
225/75/16 for lanes and 195 /80/16 for trials
Low cog I like
Now I think I need the 4" arm's :)

More
06 Nov 2019 08:08 #215407 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic 3.5 - 4" lift few questions
If you need any parts drop me a message. Caster arms etc. You say Dobson's so I presume Australia? I can do to Aus no problem. Cheers

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds