BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Winches

More
08 Oct 2019 18:21 #214486 by Roy
Winches was created by Roy
Hi guys
I have been given a s/hand Winch it's a Rule 6000lb it looks a sturdy bit of kit (American) it rins OK but needs a bit of tlc, solenoid cover missing, no remote, cable a bit snagged but not bad for a Freeby, just wondering what fitting kit I need for my 03 Jimny as I may as well use it. Oh and I believe there's an alternative to steel cable?
Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Oct 2019 18:49 #214489 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Winches
This is only second hand information but jimnybits do a semi hidden winch mount that only needs a little trimming of the bumper to accommodate a variety of different types of winches. The synthetic ropes are regarded as better most of the time because they are lighter and easier to handle and don't whip anything like as much as steel if they snap. The biggest thing though is that all winches are heavy weights way out there beyond the front axle adding weight where you don't really want it both in terms of road manners and reducing available suspension height and a winch is only a seconds lapse in concentration away from being fatal. They have their uses but you need to be certain of what you will get against what you will have to compromise.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roy

• GF68
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Oct 2019 07:05 #214499 by GF68
Replied by GF68 on topic Winches
This is the Jimny bits mount that Lambert is talking about fitted to my 2005. I have not had chance to fit the winch yet.
Attachments:

More
09 Oct 2019 07:45 #214504 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Winches
If you're going to use it, definitely replace the cable if it has any damage at all, people lose limbs/lives when steel cables snap. Dyneema synthetic ropes are a much better bet.

More
09 Oct 2019 13:49 #214510 by Roy
Replied by Roy on topic Winches
Hi thanks for the pics where do I get the fittings from.

More
10 Oct 2019 12:55 #214560 by Roy
Hi can't seem to find the Winch mounting kit in the Jimny shop, am I in the right place?

• GF68
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 13:00 #214561 by GF68

• GF68
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Oct 2019 13:04 #214562 by GF68
Replied by GF68 on topic Winches
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration...and be careful which shackles you buy, I made the mistake of buying unrated ones first, just because they were the right size for the holes in the rescue points.

Discovered later that rating was very important and binned them to get smaller, but rated, bow shackles.

Lots of videos on YouTube that explain how to work out what you need.

I bought these

as they seemed a fair price and came quickly.

More
10 Oct 2019 20:15 #214582 by jackonlyjack

More
13 Oct 2019 11:54 #214694 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Winches
To help with the bits that have not been covered yet, this us the Rolls Royce of solenoids that can be located out of harms way under the bonnet with extended wiring:

www.devon4x4.com/albright-contactor-heavy-duty.html

You need thick cabling between the battery/winch/solenoid for the high amps the winch can draw under load. See:

www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/0-5m-35mm2-solenoid-extension.html

Jimny Bits do a battery relocation tray for a bigger battery except for some cars with ABS and Aircon.

Which battery is a topic of its own that has been covered on here is you have a search.

You need a hawse fairlead for a rope and deals can often be had when buying both at the same time.

You need no less than 9mm thick rope. This is what I have and it has done well:

www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/winch-access...m-standard-hook.html

Here's a cheap fairlead from the same company to save postage.

www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/109mm-hawse.html

I know that the rope is not cheap but don't buy a really cheap one or you'll regret it.

As your winch is an unknown quantity, you might want to strip it down and grease it up inside and check the condition of the motor and its contacts, brushes etc.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
13 Oct 2019 12:46 #214695 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Winches

kirkynut wrote: To help with the bits that have not been covered yet, this us the Rolls Royce of solenoids that can be located out of harms way under the bonnet with extended wiring:

www.devon4x4.com/albright-contactor-heavy-duty.html

You need thick cabling between the battery/winch/solenoid for the high amps the winch can draw under load. See:

www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/0-5m-35mm2-solenoid-extension.html

Jimny Bits do a battery relocation tray for a bigger battery except for some cars with ABS and Aircon.

Which battery is a topic of its own that has been covered on here is you have a search.

You need a hawse fairlead for a rope and deals can often be had when buying both at the same time.

You need no less than 9mm thick rope. This is what I have and it has done well:

www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/winch-access...m-standard-hook.html

Here's a cheap fairlead from the same company to save postage.

www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/109mm-hawse.html

I know that the rope is not cheap but don't buy a really cheap one or you'll regret it.

As your winch is an unknown quantity, you might want to strip it down and grease it up inside and check the condition of the motor and its contacts, brushes etc.

Kirkynut

Excellent info! Cheers

More
14 Oct 2019 12:50 #214746 by Roy
Hi Kirkynut have just had Winch checked and one of the magnets is cracked so unfortunately not viable to repair shame really as the rest is good(spares maybe) anyway been looking at winches and seeing as I'm not going to do any serious off roading don't really want to spend a fortune, maybe a 3000 lb would be useful if needed. Seen loads on fleabay, are Rhino any good, seem good value, I know you get what you pay for, suggestion would be helpful.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds