BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Jimny's off road capabilities

• TautvydasP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2019 17:20 #214189 by TautvydasP
Jimny's off road capabilities was created by TautvydasP
Hello!
Currently, I am looking to buy a 4WD car that I could daily and off road. I am almost certain that i want a Jimny. As I started reading Jimny wiki I found one thing very concerning - Jimny has and older 4WD system that cannot be engaged on dry surfaces, so if I'm off roading on rocks or gravel (or any dry surface for that matter) I am basically stuck with RWD? Does this reduce Jimny's capabilities?
Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2019 17:52 #214191 by Bill Portland
Interested in reading responses to this
The following user(s) said Thank You: TautvydasP

More
02 Oct 2019 18:52 - 02 Oct 2019 18:53 #214196 by Gadget
The post title asks about off-road capability, but the post itself implies you're more interested in on-road use of 4wd?

The part time 4wd system in the Jimny, without a centre differential can't be used on a grippy surface, like tarmac, as there's no way for the front and rear to rotate at different speeds, which causes windup and expensive crunchy noises.

Off-road on a loose surface, including rocks and gravel, this isn't an issue as the terrain allows slippage between front and rear. The Jimny's off-road capability is excellent, being the equivalent of any other 4x4 with a locked centre diff.

If you want a full time AWD which automatically shuffles torque around when road conditions change suddenly, then the Jimny isn't the car you're looking for, however how often is that the case? What situation are you likely to be in where you suddenly have the need for all wheels to be driven? It's far more likely that you'll drive on tarmac and then transition to an unpaved surface, at which point you engage 4wd.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 18:53 by Gadget.

More
02 Oct 2019 19:00 #214201 by Bill Portland
And when on patchy ice? Just drop into 4H when you can't pull away but then back into 2H as soon as you start moving?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Oct 2019 19:05 #214203 by Lambert
No it's just dry tarmac or similar that is a problem. Any surface that will allow a wheel to slip is ok for 4wd. In practice this means that on a paved road so concrete and tarmac you will be in 4x2 unless it's raining to the point where the entire road is covered in water. On every other surface like gravel or sand or grass or mud etc 4x4 should be engaged to provide the additional stability and traction. Yes a Jimny will get a lot further in 4x2 than a Ford fiesta but it will be safer in 4x4.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, TautvydasP

More
02 Oct 2019 19:05 - 02 Oct 2019 19:06 #214204 by Gadget
Pretty much. That's one of the limitations you get with the Jimny, an old-style transfer box doesn't allow you to benefit from 4wd in changeable on-road conditions, unlike having a centre diff. I'd hoped they would move to having a centre diff with the Gen4, like they did when going from the Series Landy to Defender, but sadly not.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 19:06 by Gadget.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Oct 2019 19:11 #214205 by Lambert
I'd suggest that you start with decent winter tyres if it's iced over reserve 4x4 for roads you are certain have not been gritted and are likely to be a problem. You can also shift on the fly at upto 60 mph though that speed in those types of conditions is asking for trouble.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Oct 2019 19:15 #214208 by Lambert
I type too slowly. Sorry if my responses seem out of order.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

• TautvydasP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2019 19:19 #214210 by TautvydasP
Replied by TautvydasP on topic Jimny's off road capabilities
Thank you very much!

More
02 Oct 2019 19:39 - 02 Oct 2019 19:39 #214214 by Max Headroom
Lambert hit the nail on the head with his excellent explanation of choosing the right tyres first

Lambert wrote: I'd suggest that you start with decent winter tyres if it's iced over reserve 4x4 for roads you are certain have not been gritted and are likely to be a problem. You can also shift on the fly at upto 60 mph though that speed in those types of conditions is asking for trouble.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 19:39 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
03 Oct 2019 10:05 - 03 Oct 2019 10:39 #214241 by kirkynut
@TautvydasV, I think that the Jimny is the right car for you as long as you accept it for what it is - a refined agricultural type vehicle.

There is no issue with the Jimny not having permanent 4wd or a centre diff for what you want it to do.

On gravel there is a lack of grip, so the tension built up in the driveline caused by the front and rear wheels turning at different speeds, not dealt with by a centre diff is spun out by the odd wheel spinning very briefly on the gravel, usually the outside rear on a turn.

Similarly on rocks, they are often smooth, offering little enough grip for the tension to spin out and often the suspension is at the limit of its articulation, so the weight on one wheel is so low it allows the tension to spin out.

This tension is called "transmission wind up" and the transmission is made to cope with an amount of it.

Only on high grip surfaces, such as tarmac is wind up an issue as it simply cannot be released by a wheel spinning it out.

So I the depths of winter when the road is covered in snow, ice and slush, there's such a lack of grip that 4wd is fine. Once you get out onto a main road that's been gritted or used a fair bit, you just pop it back out of 4wd. It just requires a little thought and common sense.

This is a perfectly normal set up and the only real 4wd I can think of on the road with permanent 4wd is a Land Rover. Then even the early Series ones were selectable 4wd like Suzukis.

As has been said above, tyre choice is important. I run mud terrains for the greenlaning I have the Jimny for and I'd quite happily drive it daily with them on and once did. I've recently considered doing so again.

This explains it too:

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 03 Oct 2019 10:39 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland, TautvydasP

• TautvydasP
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Oct 2019 13:00 #214245 by TautvydasP
Replied by TautvydasP on topic Re:Jimny's off road capabilities
Thank you very much! These videos answered many questions I had. Already found a good looking Jimny for 3000€, going to check it out on Sunday. Wish me luck! :)

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds