BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Sounds worse than it is!! Does it?

More
23 Sep 2019 22:41 #213790 by Fossie
Knowing that under the plastic covers on our cabrio was not as it could be should we say , I put it in for an MOT .....Hey what we got to loose?

Anyway taking away from the overall thoughts of its rotten under there said by the mechanic it isn't as bad as I thought .....as in it can be welded for £150....exhaust issue possible a sensor!? Total cost incl labour and test fees £300.

Is it worth it?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Sep 2019 04:13 #213792 by Lambert
For 300 quid I'd have it repaired. But I would also be doing it myself because if a garage is only going to charge 300 quid I would be concerned that either it's quite minor welding or that they are going to bodge it through an mot. But I have the time and ability to do it myself and don't trust garages.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Sep 2019 07:13 #213794 by kirkynut
I think I'd be getting more of a restoration done than MOT welding. It'll need welding year after year otherwise.

If it's that bad I'd perhaps get the cheapest option done and flog it.

The emmisions could be the cat, add another £200 if it is. I'd expect an engine management light on.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
24 Sep 2019 07:48 #213798 by Fossie
Cheers for the responses. The garage, we have used for years and he always says it as it is, normally we give he over what he asks for because we feel he ain't charged what he could, He puts the over his amount in the breakfast fund for staff., so I can believe it to be a fair price. The way it is written on the certificate makes it look a massive amount ......but it is just the sills .......ALL the sills!

I have to agree with the exhaust comments ,surely the light would be on ....
As for bodging to get through MOT , that is most cases I feel.
For £300 it is the difference between a years use and parked up for spares or scrap,
So I don't really have an option , Love the motor , makes the trip to the stables especially in the winter a laugh.
Fingers crossed.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2019 08:29 #213803 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Sounds worse than it is!! Does it?
If your using for just short trips then a blast down the motorway might help the emissions.

More
24 Sep 2019 09:56 - 24 Sep 2019 09:57 #213804 by Max Headroom

kirkynut wrote: I think I'd be getting more of a restoration done than MOT welding. It'll need welding year after year otherwise.

The emmisions could be the cat, add another £200 if it is. I'd expect an engine management light on.

I'm with Kirkynut on the welding - it needs to be a proper restoration rather than something done by those well-known rogues, Bodgit Scarper - or you will be continually patching it up.

I'm looking down the barrel of a CAT change on mine but depending on what CAT you need, they're out there for around £90 and although known not to last as well as a genuine one, it should get you by for a good few years I'd have thought

...And Daniel's suggestion of a good "Italian tune-up" down the motorway will always help - particularly if you are actually on your way to an MOT B)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 24 Sep 2019 09:57 by Max Headroom.

More
24 Sep 2019 11:15 #213806 by facade
High CO with no EML means the ecu thinks it is right, so probably the pre-cat oxygen sensor is out of calibration. MAP sensor would put the EML on, could be worth looking at the air filter first though. A new generic oxygen sensor is about £15.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
25 Sep 2019 00:24 #213842 by Fossie
Though I'd mention that the MOT station is an independent unit from the garage .

Will change the airfilter as I have 1 here anyway , interesting about the calibration fault ....we should know more on Thursday as I have said go ahead.

More
27 Sep 2019 20:39 #213948 by Fossie
Well all done , sills replaced and or patched, wizardry in the emission dept.....actual bill £235! The rotten underside was reference to the pipes and general appearance.
While he was under , welding he brushed it to check.....better than it looked ...while it is as cleaned as it could be I'll under seal/ paint it.

Good news indeed.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2019 21:27 #213950 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Sounds worse than it is!! Does it?
Nice one

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Sep 2019 05:41 #213954 by Lambert
Excellent. If you're able to and it sounds like you are on good terms with the garage ask to borrow a bit of time on one of their hoists to do the cleaning and painting, it will allow you to be more thorough and get a better result than laying on your back in the rain.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds