BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 3 clutch problem

• JackBates
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 19:49 #213084 by JackBates
Gen 3 clutch problem was created by JackBates
Hi guys!

I have a gen4 but the girlfriend is after a gen3 after falling in love with mine.

Test drove one today and the clutch was hurrendous. 90% of the travel was floppy with no action on the clutch and no sort of resistance. The last 10% is stiff and have to jam the pedal into the floor to disengage the clutch to change gear.

Is it a cable actuated clutch on these or hydraulic? Is there any kind of adjustment that could solve this? Sound like air in the system if hydraulic? From my experience of classics I would say the clutch is worn to bones but not having any specific jimny knowledge wanted to ask here incase this is known of.

If clutch is gone, what's the average cost for replacement in these?

Thanks in advance!!

Jack

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JackBates
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 19:52 #213085 by JackBates
Replied by JackBates on topic Re:Gen 3 clutch problem
Would help to add some vehicle information haha

2006 with 111k

More
03 Sep 2019 19:56 #213086 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Gen 3 clutch problem
It's cable and there is some adjustment on the end under the car

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackBates

• JackBates
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 20:03 #213087 by JackBates
Replied by JackBates on topic Gen 3 clutch problem

mlines wrote: It's cable and there is some adjustment on the end under the car

That's great thanks!

Would you say it's a stretched cable sounding deal or clutch at end of life? Are they characteristically heavy on the gen3's?

More
03 Sep 2019 20:11 #213088 by mlines
Clutch itself does wear and get mud on the splines.

The cable is lined with nylon which wears through on the curves making the cable heavy and stick

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
03 Sep 2019 20:17 - 03 Sep 2019 20:22 #213090 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen 3 clutch problem
They are not heavy in use. The cable can be adjusted at the gearbox end, turn the plastic nut type adjustment. 10mm of "free play" until you feel the pressure increase (measured at foot pedal tip). Note "free play" is still on the pedal spring return, so it's not sloppy, but when pressed you can feel the point (10mm) at which the clutch arm starts to move the clutch plate.
Could be shot cable as Martin said. I would think it would feel similar to your GEN4 unless it's an auto.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Sep 2019 20:22 by Scimike.

• JackBates
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 20:28 #213091 by JackBates
Replied by JackBates on topic Re:Gen 3 clutch problem
Cheers guys? And rough cost of it does turn out to be a worn clutch? Just want to see if it's worth the punt as the rest of it is solid!

More
03 Sep 2019 20:30 #213092 by mlines
I have seen quotes for £180 upwards for a change

Martin

• JackBates
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 20:33 #213094 by JackBates

mlines wrote: I have seen quotes for £180 upwards for a change

Okay, not bad then!

Thanks again for the help! Reckon we'll take the gamble!

More
04 Sep 2019 08:34 - 04 Sep 2019 08:37 #213108 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Gen 3 clutch problem

JackBates wrote:
90% of the travel was floppy with no action on the clutch and no sort of resistance. The last 10% is stiff and have to jam the pedal into the floor to disengage the clutch to change gear.

As the clutch wears, the plate thins, and the release bearing moves outwards, so the biting point gets higher up the pedal. You have to lengthen the cable by shortening the outer sleeve to compensate for wear.

Sounds like the inner cable is miles too long. It may be the wrong cable, there may be a gap between engine & gearbox (unlikely) the release bearing might be the wrong one, or collapsed somehow. The cable fixing at the pedal box might be wrong/damaged and the cable isn't in the right place (I can't remember if someone said their cable pulled through the bulkhead on this forum). The cable could be on the verge of breaking, and have stretched massively as the strands break - the broken strands would jam in the sleeve, so it could be that.

Something I used to see on Triumphs, and I know beetles suffer, is crankshaft thrust bearing wear, the crankshaft moves forwards as you press the clutch, and the timing chain and drive belts pull it back. You can see the front pulley move forwards when someone presses the clutch. Never heard of it on a Jimny though.

There isn't usually enough adjustment on the threaded part of the cable to get the biting point at the bottom, even with a brand new clutch.

Most likely just needs a new clutch cable.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 04 Sep 2019 08:37 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackBates

• JackBates
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2019 09:37 #213117 by JackBates
Thanks facade,

I've come from the classic watercooled vw scene but have done my fair share on aircooled bugs and the likes so i know this problem well.

was just checking to see if this is a 'normal' or heard of occurrence on jimnys or not. did feel like the old clutch cable on my mk2 golf before i replaced it but wasn't sure it there was any adjustment on the cable and if so if it was manual or self adjusting ect. couldnt see a clutch MC but thought worth double checking in case i was being dumb!

We've taken a gamble on the it and if the sale goes through then ill sling a new cable in and adjust up to see if that solves the issue!

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds