BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Remote Reservoir/Piggy Back Shocks

• TomPage0913
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2019 02:20 - 26 Aug 2019 06:20 #212674 by TomPage0913
Remote Reservoir/Piggy Back Shocks was created by TomPage0913
Hi Everybody,

I wanted to open up a thread about remote reservoir shocks for the Jimny.

From what I have gathered online and from forum threads elsewhere, there aren't any remote reservoir shocks made for the Jimny here in Australia. There are these shock absorbers (see attached) from China that tick the right boxes. Obviously buying from overseas is a bit of a risk, but could it be worth it...?

So, I was wondering if anybody here has experience with these shock absorbers or custom remote reservoir shocks from Aus?

www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Nitrogen-...5.127.418948b6sUXJ3e

www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Suzuki-Ji...15.88.418948b6gPPxY4

Cheers,

Tom.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Aug 2019 06:20 by TomPage0913.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Aug 2019 06:45 #212675 by Lambert
I'm sure I have seen someone running king's remote reservoir dampers on a Jimny, but I couldn't tell you who or why or if they were custom. I understand the reasons for wanting them but are they really necessary for a car as light as a Jimny, there are some very good "normal " dampers available for the Jimny? As for buying none branded from China, I would have to be very convinced it was a good idea.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 Aug 2019 07:01 #212676 by Riccy
TomDK was running Fox on the rear, not sure what model or if they were remote reservoir or not. Sure he said they were brilliant, if a bit expensive.

The problem with the chinese import stuff is that spares are generally not available, and on a thing which doesnt cost that much less than the real deal branded stuff. So when it goes wrong in a couple of years its in the bin, whereas a decent brand could be rebuilt easily for years to come.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
26 Aug 2019 07:44 #212682 by sniper

Riccy wrote: TomDK was running Fox on the rear, not sure what model or if they were remote reservoir or not. Sure he said they were brilliant, if a bit expensive.

The problem with the chinese import stuff is that spares are generally not available, and on a thing which doesnt cost that much less than the real deal branded stuff. So when it goes wrong in a couple of years its in the bin, whereas a decent brand could be rebuilt easily for years to come.

I have had units rebuilt at AVO, both warranty and at cost. I would be £250+ out of pocket if they were not rebuildable.

sniper

More
26 Aug 2019 08:10 - 26 Aug 2019 09:17 #212684 by zukebob
If you are after remote reservoir shocks, I would think that Australia has distributors for both Fox and Profender. Likely they sell King also but I was never able to find any of their RR shocks that were appropriate for the Jimny.

As Lambert said, remote reservoir may be overkill. I was running Bilstein shocks with OME springs but had two problems. The first is that the setup I had was generally firmer than I wanted. The second thing was that I experienced shock fade when driving miles on washboard roads heading to off-road sites. From some posts I have seen by members of Auszookers, you may also be "blessed" with some of that terrain. If you are, the decision is probably a good one and remote reservoir shocks should resolve the problem of fade. I ordered some Fox shocks but can't give any feedback until I have received and installed them. I went back to my standard suspension until they arrive.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 26 Aug 2019 09:17 by zukebob.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds