BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Rough idle, no power up hill lots of fuel, help please!

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2019 17:21 #211994 by Godfather68
Ok, pretty sure it is the Crank sensor, this seemed to help when I sprayed it with water.

ODB reader showed no codes btw, but I have the reader now I guess for the next time it does anything.

Anybody know of any links to videos showing how to change the sensor?

And where would you guys buy one?

Thanks for the continued support everyone, amazing forum group.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Aug 2019 17:51 #211997 by Riccy
Good news!

You can get a new one from Martin/bigjimny.com shop ;-)

Its not that hard to get at if you slacken off the alternator and have long extensions for the 10mm bolt holding it down. The wiring has a retaining clip on the plug that will be visible to undo similar to the other plugs on wiring under there

Remove the bolt and pull it out. twisting it left and right helps a bit, avoid getting any surrounding dirt into the hole.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Godfather68

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2019 18:02 #211999 by Godfather68
Well that sounds easy enough, will contact Martin to order from him. Thx.

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2019 11:53 #212291 by Godfather68
All,

So I thought I would update and sumarise in case any other newbie like me has the same issue and happens upon this thread.

The symptoms were car would start and run perfectly from cold, but after 15 mins or so when warm the car would start to run very poorly at idle, often stalling and would not accelerate to beyond 50 mph or so. Terrible fule consumption and no power up hills etc.

As suggested I took on board it could be plugs, coils, crank sensor or cam sensor.

I decided to change in order of cost and so plugs first, no difference, then crank sensor, then cam sensor and finally coil pack and leads.

It turns out it was one of the coil packs that had failed, the leads on closer inspection did not look that good either.

For those like me looking for the various sensors, on my 2005 VVT model the crank sensor is to the right of the alternator, you can just about see it and get a 10mm socket onto it (with a long bar) once you have removed the alternator bolts and pushed out of the way to the left.

The Cam sensor is on the back left of the head and has a single bolt holding it in, very easy change with a cold engine.

So thanks everyone for the guidance and help, really happy as I took the Jimny out for a good run on Sunday and she behaved perfectly, also discovered that what the gargae had told me was the mileage of 37K, turned out to be a trip reading 3700 and the actual mileage is only 32K so even happier that hopefully the old girl will have some life in her now she is being treated right.

Next stop going to change all the fluids in all the boxes to make sure they are all the right spec and fresh.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2019 19:23 #212326 by Daniel30
Nice results, well done

More
20 Aug 2019 07:55 #212353 by kirkynut
Out of interest, did you get a code reader on it and did it show a code for the crank sensor?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 08:01 #212357 by Godfather68
Yes bought code reader and was clear with no codes and even after it had another bout of the symptoms it still remained clear.

But the tool was only £20 on Amazon and I am happy to have it, I am sure it will be useful in the future.

More
20 Aug 2019 08:03 #212360 by kirkynut
Well that's weird! Noteworthy for the future though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 08:14 #212362 by Godfather68
How so?

Would you normally expect the failing coil pack to put a code in the log?

Maybe my write up was not good enough, I think both the original Cam and Crank sensors were actually not the problem, they were just cheaper than the coil packs, so I changed them first, as I had no way to know which of the 4 things the collective minds on here thought may be the problem, was the problem. Turns out I was just unlucky in that the 4th thing I changed fixed the issue.

But I am happy as I don't see any way I could have done it differently as I had no other donor parts that I could have tested with. I did think that the cold water on the crank sensor made a difference but maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part at the time.

More
20 Aug 2019 08:26 #212366 by kirkynut
Yes, eventually a failing coil pack shows a code for misfire on cylinder x (whichever one is failing) or on two cylinders sometimes as the Jimny shares 1 coilpack for 2 cylinders.

I had it on my 6 cylinder BMW earlier this year where it would go into limp home mode if I gave it the beans but would start ok and run fine if I turned it off and back on again. It showed no codes though. I guessed it was a sensor or coilpack breaking down but it could have been any of the parts you changed and I wasn't prepared to replace them all as you have on a BMW!

Eventually it did it with not a great deal of throttle and put a code up for misfire on cylinder 3, which narrowed it down to the coilpack on that cylinder but it took a while. No engine management light mind!

Kirkynut

• Godfather68
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2019 08:42 - 20 Aug 2019 08:42 #212370 by Godfather68
As you say a much more expensive game on a BMW!

Sounds like I was just unlucky in that case.

That said, the parts were not that expensive for the Jimny and at least I know they are right going forwards.

All good learning as far as I am concerned and made so much easier by the great input from this group.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2019 08:42 by Godfather68.

More
20 Aug 2019 09:01 #212373 by kirkynut
Yes, a tad more expensive on a Beemer but I got a Bosch coilpack from Eurocarparts for £27, which is genuine really, so with 10 minutes to change it was ok!

This is a great forum and I'm so pleased that Facebook hasn't killed it like others.

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds