BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Soft top Velcro rail.

More
06 Aug 2019 19:34 #211893 by Fossie
Soft top Velcro rail. was created by Fossie
I have searched the various threads but haven't found the answer ....but I bet someone has .
Has anyone done a template for the steel bar that the Velcro is on with the rivets to lock down the back of the soft top ..and sides if possible .
Mine is now not even history ...there is an essence it was there and a few presstuds remain.
It is obviously just a bar with Velcro on but the mounting points for the bolt holes need to be correct ......so Before I remove what's left I was hoping ( best moulder and skully voice ) the answer is out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2019 22:32 - 21 Aug 2019 22:34 #212481 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Soft top Velcro rail.
Velcro rail on the back door is the same width as double glazed extrusion!:cheer:
Easily unbolted from the door what was left of the steel, 3x spacers where the mounting screws are.
Velcro strip glued to extrusion, poppers added with rivets , attatched with spacers and job done .
Won't rust off again.;)
Last edit: 21 Aug 2019 22:34 by Fossie.

More
18 Jan 2020 19:07 - 18 Jan 2020 19:16 #217395 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Soft top Velcro rail.
An update in case there are others in need!
It's been 6 months and the makeshift rear door section....which in all honestly takes some hammer , unclip, reclip ....repeat repeat was showing signs of slacking ......if the car wasn't a farm type workhorse it'd be less affected ..But we digress.

On Jimnybits site as a fairly new addition to their catalogue ....Velcro rails all 3 with poppers fitted £96 including postage.( £6 postage)
An inspection of the side rails and they were bodged by a previous owner , so. Bullet bitten.

Arrived next day

Fitted in about 15 mins each rail , studs married up from the off.
Value for money , even given I'm a tight *rse I say yep , no hassle finding bits , all bolts and washers included.( however the washers could do with being wider as the just cover the hole.) powder coated , they do the job . Now the hood is as tight as my wallet close.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jan 2020 19:16 by Fossie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
18 Jan 2020 23:26 #217398 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Soft top Velcro rail.
Thanks Fossie.

Certainly interesting info for those of us with the wind in our hair on warmer days! (I'm lucky enough to still have a bit of my wig left)

I 'm aware my rails are rusty under the velcro, and the snap fasteners are pretty crappy and going rusty themselves (always use stainless marine quality snap fasteners).
I was going to shot-blast mine at the next long spell of dry summer weather when I can safely leave the rear canopy off fthe car or a week or so.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds