BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear hub oil seal

More
21 Jul 2019 10:23 #211355 by RogersJimmy
My 2001 Jimny has oil leaking slowly into the offside rear brake drum but it hasn't got on the shoes yet.

Is it possible to replace the seal without dismantling the brake shoes? Can the hub be withdrawn leaving the shoes in place?

Many thanks,
Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Jul 2019 04:28 #211372 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rear hub oil seal
I have yet to do this myself but for ease of operation I would dismantle the shoes, it'll make cleaning easier and quite honestly for the cost of a set I replace them anyway if there's even a hint of possible contamination.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
22 Jul 2019 07:44 #211378 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Rear hub oil seal
This is usually an early sign of wheel bearing failure.

Are you sure it's not brake fluid from the brake cylinder?

If it's transmission fluid then definitely replace the wheel bearing, axle oil seal and your brake shoes are contaminated, so you'll need new brake shoes on both sides.

If you can remove the drum and check the brake cylinder you'll know for sure.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds