BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front differential bolts

More
15 Jul 2019 08:39 #211084 by drzjohn
How can I find out how many bolt hold the ring gear on in a front diff. Some are 8 and some are 10 bolt. (Dont say take the diff out)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2019 11:13 #211092 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Front differential bolts
I think you can tell by the spline count on the drive shafts... I have a vague memory of reading about it in the wiki pages, hope it helps....

sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Jul 2019 14:52 #211097 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Front differential bolts
No they all use 22 spline shafts into the diff, can be upgraded to 26 with new side gears.

If you cant take it out then it is possible to see in through the oil filler hole and count the bolts that way.

Rears are all the same through the years (10 bolt), Fronts differ and I cant remember which one is which year. I think its 10 bolt for the 3.9 diffs, but could be wrong.

Is this for a locker of some sort?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
15 Jul 2019 19:08 #211104 by drzjohn
Replied by drzjohn on topic Front differential bolts
Yes its for an air locker. I've tried to look through the filler hole and can't see the bolts. I have spoke to Suzuki parts and they say it should be an 8 bolt

More
16 Jul 2019 00:45 #211109 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Front differential bolts
My understanding is that 1998 - 2003 were 8 bolt. After that they were 10 bolt. My understanding is also that the change was during the 2003 model production. If your Jimny is a 2003, you may need to talk to a dealer/supplier that can use your VIN to determine the count.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds