BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering affecting RPM / knocking

• Blackout
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2019 19:50 #210562 by Blackout
Steering affecting RPM / knocking was created by Blackout
Noticed my PS reservoir was at minimum so topped it up. Then noticed a knock when turning right. Had a similar knock recently driving down a very bumpy gravel track. Can only recreate it turning right. Nothing when turning left..

While at in neutral I also noticed that when turning the wheel the revs are bumping up by about 500 rpm then dropping back.

Gear lever is rattling if I hold in hand it stops not sure if this is all linked.

Tried driving full lock right in circles and seemed fine but after straightening up and turning right it knocks again it’s almost like the first part of the turn from wheels being central.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2019 09:20 #210590 by facade
The knock is probably a broken CV joint on the right side.

The rpm change is just the engine management trying not to stall the engine when you load it up with the steering effort, although if it takes a while to settle you may have a sticky idle speed control valve

The gearlever is supposed to vibrate* a bit, there is a nylon cup at the bottom that wears if it moves miles, or the rear gearbox mount could be gone- the back of the gearbox will push up by hand from underneath if it is gone..

*both the gearlever and transfer lever will "sing/sizzle" if you hold them when you are going along. My Gen 4 does it too, and it has only done 500miles...

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Blackout
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2019 11:51 #210608 by Blackout
Replied by Blackout on topic Steering affecting RPM / knocking
The level is buzzing like mad unless i change up a gear / hold it. Will check mount. Is there any way of diagnosing bust cv joint ?

More
04 Jul 2019 12:09 #210609 by facade
Why I suggested CV joint is if it has broken, bits jam the steering as it tries to come apart. I suppose that you could jack it up, undo and remove the tie rod balljoint, then try moving the hub left to right by hand to see if you can feel a knock, it may be a dry & rusty kingpin bearing. The hub has to come off to check the CV joint properly.

The gear lever is held in the remote unit by 3 bolts down through a circular plate, it will lift out- but be careful not to lose the plastic bush that goes in the eye of the selector rod, this may be your problem. It shouldn't vibrate as much as you say, check that the linkage is all tight. I suppose there could be a bearing gone in the gearbox causing more vibration, but I'd expect a lot of noise if it were the case.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Garuuu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2019 15:07 #210990 by Garuuu
Replied by Garuuu on topic Steering affecting RPM / knocking
Recently I was at a offroad event and when turning a corner whilst in 4x4 over rocks I heard a snap next thing I noticed was my steering was reduced and as I was getting off the track I heard another snap and then I could only turn right. Someone suggested it was the steering box so I replaced it and made no difference so I asked one of my mechanic friends and he said it could be a cv and said to Jack up the front remove the tie rod and turn the wheels by hand I individually to see if one was restricted, and sure enough the right side was restricted, this was due to the ball bearings of the CV being loose in the knuckle and blocking the steering.

• Blackout
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2019 20:16 #211065 by Blackout
Replied by Blackout on topic Steering affecting RPM / knocking
Yeah I’m going to have to jack it up. Have you changed Cv before ? Just noticed my steering rod is turning if I push / pull the damper... don’t think that supposed to happen :blink:

• Garuuu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2019 21:22 #211073 by Garuuu
Replied by Garuuu on topic Steering affecting RPM / knocking
Yes I just changed mine, quite a straightforward job if ur handy with ur hands.
Remove wheel, remove caliper and disc, remove hub vacuum lines, remove kingpins top and bottom, pull hub and will come off with axle. Remove cover from vacuum hub, remove circlip and axle will come out of hub, put new axle in,now work backwards.
Note: new axle will need greasing squeeze grease into it until it is seeping out.
As ur inthere u might as well change the kingpin bearings and axle oil seal.
Also I have only done this once so don't quote me on anything.theres a YouTube channel called mech it better with a vid on how to change the kingpin bearings but shows how to dismantle every thing.

More
15 Jul 2019 07:40 #211082 by bryn
Go to the how to guides on this web site and look up King Pin Baring Change. There is also one on changing the cv joint.
Very good.

bryn

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds