BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fuel tank removal procedure

More
07 Aug 2020 10:13 - 08 Aug 2020 01:25 #226213 by Mr CC
Replied by Mr CC on topic Fuel tank removal procedure
good idea if you can keep clear of the rear seat mounts, the pump and filter housing are directly under the rear seat passenger side. I got the pump out after freeing the bolts, emptied the tank, filled it with soapy water (fairy liquid) today is fill with water and check for leaks, Then hammerite the tank. Silver I think with a yellow protector. If I can upload a few photos, of the tank and the pump housing. also the underfloor while the tanks out, I will do so later.
also got the other 4 bolt holes re tapped.
should really start a thread on the restoration,

started the thread
restoration after 10 years in the driveway

will post the photos of the pump/filter and housing here soon.

Kirkynut, the reason we do this is because we are men, we have to, its the law :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Last edit: 08 Aug 2020 01:25 by Mr CC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2020 21:48 #226430 by Mr CC
1st picture is the tank when its out and filter removed,
Yes I snapped the plastic part of the filter where the flexible return line connects. Even with warning and apprehension, one twist the wrong way and its gone, You have to push the connector towards the filter then slide something thin inside the connector below the clip to lift it over the ridge it clips to.
I have put the part of the connector which should stay inside (easy to get back in) on the filter so you can get an idea of what I mean.
ordered a new filter, the central pipe can stick in the old filter, its held in place with a rubber grommet which also has to be removed.

once you have the filter and pump out, its a very easy job to take apart and rebuild, everything is slotted and moulded so it will only go one way.
the collar will also only fit one way, so the level sensor float has room to move.
the central
Attachments:

More
09 Aug 2020 21:53 #226431 by Mr CC
cleaned up the collar and retapped the threads on the tank.

after the paint dried on the tank fitted the filter

all good to go back in

[/color]
Attachments:

More
19 Sep 2021 11:19 - 19 Sep 2021 11:25 #238783 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Fuel tank removal procedure
Tried to remove the fuel tank yesterday, in order to clean and wax the floor above it. Here is a quick report of new info.

Spraying all the bolts with WD-40-alike chemical a night before certainly helped.

I was not successful in complete removal, but I managed to lower the fuel tank enough to enable solid access to the space above it for the purpose of cleaning and spray-waxing the area. The lowered fuel tank sat on the exhaust pipes and some other bits of the underbody. The important thing was that it was nearly empty. There was no need to remove the rear propeller shaft to achieve this level of success.

Not mentioned by anyone else - there is a single black wire which connects the rear of the fuel tank to a body bracket above it. I suppose that the wire provides grounding connection (electrostatic potential equalization) for the fuel tank. The wire is visible when standing below the exhaust muffler and looking at the left part of the fuel tank. That wire has to be disconnected as well before lowering the tank. It is also important to protect the wire connector and the connection points on the fuel tank and on the body bracket before doing any waxing or other sprayings. After all spraying is done and you reconnect that wire, use an ohmmeter with a buzzer to check if the electrical connection between the fuel tank and the vehicle body exists before you reinstall all the bolts holding the fuel tank. If no connection is present, you need to clean both contact points and re-check. Perhaps also apply some electrical connection grease after verifying that the el. connection exists, in order to prevent future rusting.

Last edit: 19 Sep 2021 11:25 by Bosanek.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds