BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:knocking sound when driving

• JimnyFromSweden
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2019 13:12 #209980 by JimnyFromSweden
knocking sound when driving was created by JimnyFromSweden
Hi there awesome people! I am a new member on the forum but i have been reading for a while now. I recently bought my own Jimny (Bordeaux red, best color) from 1998 and so far i am absolutely loving the simplicity and the fact that you can fix most of it with basic tools. I usually only use my Leatherman for example!

I hope i am not coming trough like a douche when just reading and now only giving a question as input on the forum, but there is something i need help with. In the recent couple of weeks i have been hearing an annoying knocking sound coming from the back. Its only there when i make sharp turns to the left or right, and when i drive over minor bumps in the road. its on the drivers side of the car (left side for me) and it sounds like its somewhere between the rear bumper and shocks.

i filmed a little clip with my phone which i attempt to put here. I hope there is somewhere out here on the forum that has had the same experience that figured it out. Many thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Jun 2019 16:04 #209985 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic knocking sound when driving
Welcome to the forum. Sounds to me like a damper has failed. That or the exhaust is rubbing on something.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimnyFromSweden

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Jun 2019 16:37 #209989 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic knocking sound when driving
Welcome :-)

Shock like Lambert says maybe? Get someone else to rock the car like you were and have a good look about underneath, or put your camera on record under it and rock from above.
It could be panhard rod or mount, body mount, broken spring, all kinds of things really. Sorry thats not much help.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• JimnyFromSweden
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2019 17:55 #209997 by JimnyFromSweden
Replied by JimnyFromSweden on topic knocking sound when driving
Going to give that a try! Thanks for the input. Going to update this when i find out more!

• JimnyFromSweden
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jun 2019 18:06 #210189 by JimnyFromSweden
Alright,i traced the problem to worn bushings! Going to see if i can buy a set of bushings for the entire car. Most of them looked original and almost all of them were about as soft as a pencil eraser. Are there any brands out there that are recommended? Or is any bushing replacement kit good enough?

I almost bought a new Jimny today. A 2005 model. Drove very nice until i tried the 4wd. The 4wd indicator was blinking (owner said this was normal lol, he replaced the gearbox himself) and also a rattling sound coming from underneath. oh well.. haha. Have a good one!

More
22 Jun 2019 09:25 #210201 by raLLe
Replied by raLLe on topic knocking sound when driving

JimnyFromSweden wrote: Alright,i traced the problem to worn bushings! Going to see if i can buy a set of bushings for the entire car. Most of them looked original and almost all of them were about as soft as a pencil eraser. Are there any brands out there that are recommended? Or is any bushing replacement kit good enough?

I almost bought a new Jimny today. A 2005 model. Drove very nice until i tried the 4wd. The 4wd indicator was blinking (owner said this was normal lol, he replaced the gearbox himself) and also a rattling sound coming from underneath. oh well.. haha. Have a good one!

Maybe you can finde something here? :)

www.jimnybits.com/jimny/suspension.html

My Instagram - wanderlust_jimny

• JimnyFromSweden
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2019 17:04 #210209 by JimnyFromSweden
Nice! Lucky me, payday is next Tuesday. Its gonna be a fun summer. I also managed to find new rear door hinges. That will be next weekends project. Also i have a pair of used headlights coming home. When the suspension is done, i will be looking for new front seats. Drivers seat is off by a few cm. The previous owner was of the larger type:P

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Jun 2019 17:09 #210211 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic knocking sound when driving
have a look for suzuki ignis sport recaro seats ;-)

best thing you can do to a Jimny!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• JimnyFromSweden
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jun 2019 17:18 #210213 by JimnyFromSweden
Nice, they do look comfy. The JImny is my daily driver, so comfortable seats is something that will be much appreciated. The car before the Jimny was a Volvo S60. So it took a little getting used to:P

• JimnyFromSweden
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2019 11:51 #210456 by JimnyFromSweden
Alright gents and ladies. I have found the problem. The body is rusted away around the body mounts in the rear. That is the knocking sound i hear all the time. Not really sure what to do. I haven' t got a garage, and the mechanics where i live only swap out parts. I have an inspection coming up next tuesday and if it passes inspection, i might trade this one in for a newer version that is being sold not very far from where i live. I am a bit bummed out tbh. but that is car life. Have a good one folks.
Attachments:

• Keirravn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2019 21:12 #210464 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:knocking sound when driving
That's a bummer. Maybe worth buying and learning to use a welder? Or finding a cheap cash in hand guy to weld it up.

Depends what you paid for it really I guess

• Jim Jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2019 21:53 #210465 by Jim Jim
Replied by Jim Jim on topic Re:knocking sound when driving
Ironically I was was going to suggest that you check the rear mount points. A few hours ago I have lifted my Jimny body to install 2" spacers and discovered that the rear rubber body mount supports have a bit of rot.

Fortunately for me, its only the body that has the rot and not the support frame.

We have cut the rot out and treated it in preparation for the repairs. Tomorrow I will make a cardboard template, cut a patch from 3mm galvanized steel and MIG weld it it in place. I might be tempted to weld in a thick 2.5" galvanized washer as added reinforcement.

DO NOT try welding this if you are not an intermediate welder. Also overhead welding is difficult, get an experienced welder to do the repairs for you...do not risk experimenting with something like this.

Cheers.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds