BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Any help

• Jake21
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2019 20:28 #209498 by Jake21
Any help was created by Jake21
Hello,

I was wondering if there’s any recommended upgrades to a stock Jimny, I’ve already done the rear speakers inside, just looking for ideas as a new owner. Also is there anything I could do at home that could cure the “death wobble”

Thank you in advance

2003 Jimny O2 Convertible

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jun 2019 20:45 #209500 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Any help
Death wobble is a diy fix for most people with a little bit of aptitude, there's a step by step guide in the wiki section and video sources too.

As for sensible things to do to a Jimny that entirely depends on what you are going to be doing with it, if its a commuter car or a weekend toy or a tool to be used for work, so many variables.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Jake21
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2019 21:07 #209501 by Jake21
Replied by Jake21 on topic Re:Any help
Thank you, I’ll have a look at the wiki site now, well I’ll be using it to get to and from work that’s only 2 miles away but ideally I want it to be a weekend toy also

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jun 2019 04:15 - 03 Jun 2019 04:16 #209509 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Any help
The thing that will make the biggest difference are some appropriate tyres to the typical conditions of your area. If like me most of the green lanes are rocky then you can fairly well get away with a road pattern tyre from one of the big names. If alternatively you are in an area where the ground is mostly clays then you will be better off with a mud terrain and if you have a combination of terrain types none of which are too severe then an all terrain tyre is for you. If you're also going commute then consider a relatively small increase in tyre size to retain the on road manners and some fuel economy. Again it is all in the wiki section and in much more detail.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 03 Jun 2019 04:16 by Lambert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jake21

• Jake21
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jun 2019 05:07 #209513 by Jake21
Replied by Jake21 on topic Any help
Thank you for your help I appreciate it a lot

More
03 Jun 2019 07:38 #209526 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Any help
A good service with quality filters and oils, include oil change to gearbox, transfer box and both diffs.

Tyres are a big choice, spend a bit of time making sure you are getting the right type, big knobbly tyres are not a lot of fun if you use the car to commute.. AT's are a good compromise but still have negatives for a road car. Plenty to ponder I'm afraid.....

Drive the car for a while and maybe look at a few modified ones before making big changes, they are very capable in standard form but are getting a bit tired in the suspension by 50 - 70,000 miles. Standard replacements can be as expensive as modified parts, so if it is showing its age, you might want to think about a small lift.

Don't fit bigger tyres than 215/75x15 without changes to your gearing, these will fit a standard car and not look out of place with a small lift. Going bigger can be done but it puts heavy loads on the drive train and you need to spend a lot, to do it properly.

Enjoy it.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds