BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Weird grind\rattle taking off in 1st gear 2019 Jimny

More
19 Nov 2019 12:44 #215769 by Shiftingsideways
I have just had mine in for the 2 month check along with fitting a rear camera and mudflaps and I asked them to investigate the noise as I have had it since day 1.

They have just called to say that they have confirmed the noise is in line with the bulletin, Q-A6G-004, and will seek approval from Suzuki GB before ordering the parts for fitment.

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bruce
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2019 12:49 #215770 by Bruce
Q-A6G-004 is what I have been fited from dealer but the noise is still there for some reason.

More
19 Nov 2019 18:00 #215780 by Bob1050
So in a nutshell - exactly what problem is this addressing? Is it sloppy clearances, manufacturing, design or assembly issue? Should I worry? Am I facing a minor irritating noise or am I likely to suffer catastrophic failure at 58.7 mph in 5th gear?

• Turr1can3
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2019 21:06 #215784 by Turr1can3
I wouldnt be that concerned its something to do with slack in some chain in the xfer box when taking off from first at 2k rpm or more.
I have spoken to another owner.. who is a mechanic and he has the same issue.
He is not overly worried but is aware of it.

Also Bruce .. i wonder if they even did the job..
Its a bit of a worry that the noise is still there.
Anyway early days yet the issue does seem to be wide spread and common.

• Bruce
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2019 06:20 #216056 by Bruce
Dealer have tested pretty much everything on my Jimny this week, I'm a little bit concerned about that noise still there even have the transfer case revised kit installed, they changed both transfer case and gear box oil and today I'm taking it to do some offroad, it stay in 4H for around 3hours 4L for around 2hours, drive it back around city straight after that, guess what I found? The noise is unnoticeable, only does it on some really steep hill and the dB is lots smaller than before, so from this point it seems like the more you do offroading the left chance it makes noise......

• Turr1can3
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Dec 2019 23:50 #216165 by Turr1can3
Yeah
I found if you just put it into 4h then back into 2wd it seems to go away for a while...
Strange..

More
26 Jul 2020 21:41 #225720 by vagepap
Hi guys, this is my first post here.

I have the same issue with this noise, as described. Anyone has any more details regarding this bulletin?

I want to know in what extend the engineer has to dismantle the transfer box to install/ replace the bearing. I am afraid that more issues will arise from the fix itself.

Thank you for this forum, it is really useful.

• RobCor
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2020 17:24 #226856 by RobCor
Yes, I have the same problem. I have a 2020 Jimny. The noise started almost immediately after I just had it for some weeks. The dealer cannot find anything wrong with it and keeps telling me it’s a common thing with Jimny’s and that they all do that. I of course don’t buy that.
My observation is also that while grinding for that half a second I can feel the 4wd lever tremble.
Mine also does it when I pull out with al little bit more gas and always in first gear when I drive up a hill.
So typically it does it when it needs extra push.
Haven’t tried it in 4wd mode yet because I don’t want to use 4wd on tarmac. It’ll ruin it.
If anyone knows if this is a problem that should be fixed I would like to hear more about it. My dealer doesn’t really seem to care.
Besides this noise, I’m in love with the car. I used to drive premium cars (BMW mostly). But this is so much fun to drive. I live on an island and don’t have highways so this is perfect. You barely drive over 80km/h.

More
17 Aug 2020 18:23 - 17 Aug 2020 18:23 #226857 by lightning
l've had a lot of experience with Land Rover Defenders and similar noises can occur on those.

Our 2020 Jimny does do it occasionally. lt sounds to me like the clutch spigot bush or release bearing.

lf, as on the Land Rover, there's a splined joint between the gearbox and transfer box it could be that as well, there's a lot of issues with that part on the later Ford engined Defenders.
As the Jimny comes with a three year warranty l wouldn't worry too much about it, if you've reported it to the dealer it will be in the system. So if the noise gets worse they can't say you didn't tell them about it.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2020 18:23 by lightning.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Aug 2020 18:37 #226859 by Lambert
The Jimny is remote transfer box, there is a service bulletin that is supposed to fix this.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Jimnyz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Aug 2020 23:15 - 17 Aug 2020 23:16 #226872 by Jimnyz
I had the same problem with my 2011 manual gen3 vvt. Would make the noise daily in first gear on a steep ramp up to my car park at work. Also happened occasionally on the flat while turning from standstill quickly.

I took it back to the dealer while it was under warrantee at around 15,000kms and they came back first that they couldn't hear it, then I took the mechanic for a drive to demonstrate it. They had it for a day and said that they all do that. My friend also has a 2016 gen3 manual that does it.

I drove that 2011 gen3 for 90,000kms before selling it. The noise never got worse and I just lived with it, so I don't think it results in transfer box failure.

My Gen4 is identical in that it has the same noise on the same ramp. I'm convinced that it's just a normal noise for jimnys now.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2020 23:16 by Jimnyz.

More
18 Aug 2020 09:15 #226888 by Scimike
Have to ask, did they redesign the transfer box for the G4 or is it the G3 box?

If its the same I would have expected it to be just as prevalent in the G3 community. Cant say I have noticed any noise issues on my 56K G3, but then maybe it is common?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds