BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen4 front speaker upgrade

More
22 May 2019 17:02 - 22 May 2019 17:04 #208697 by Gadget
Gen4 Front Speaker upgrade

Tools required:

Philips screwdriver
Pliers
Small flathead screwdriver

Parts needed:

Front speaker upgrade bracket kit: Suzuki Part # 990E0-78R32-000
Suitable 13cm front speakers

While the 10cm front speakers in the Gen4 are surprisingly adequate, I'm always on the lookout for fun things to add to the car, so I decided to upgrade them!

Suzuki offer a bracket kit to allow 13cm speakers to be fitted (part # 990E0-78R32-000) and it's available from the BigJimny.com shop, thanks Martin!

The bracket kit includes all the parts needed for installation, however you need to source your own speakers. I went for the same speakers that I'd previously fitted in the back of the car, Pioneer TS-G1320F, which are a nice cheap (£20ish) option.

The only tricky part of the upgrade is pulling the door trim off. Always a bit nerve wracking, but once you know where the fixing points are, straightforward. First remove the two Philips screws below the door handle and one screw in the door release recess, indicated in the picture below.

Next, remove the trim directly above the door panel by pulling from the top leading edge to release the single white clip and then pull gently towards you and upwards to release the latches at the bottom connecting it to the door panel.

The door panel is secured with ten clips, nine white and one cyan (the cyan one seems to be more robust and more likely to detach from the panel and remain in the door) positions indicated below.

Starting from the bottom leading edge of the door below the speaker grill, pull the trim away from the door panel to release each clip in turn. Sharp tugs are more effective than gradual pressure.

Work your way along the bottom then up each side releasing the clips. To release the central white and cyan clip, it may help to slide your arm up behind the panel from underneath.

Once all clips have been released, gently unhook the top lip of the trim from the door panel.

It's likely that some clips will have detached from the trim and still be located in the door, such as the cyan clip in the image below. Using pliers and a suitable flathead screwdriver, lever these out and replace them in the correct locations on the door trim, otherwise reinstalling the trim will be difficult.

Using a Philips screwdriver, undo the three retaining screws holding the current speaker in place.

Pull the speaker away from the door and squeeze the wiring plug to remove from the socket.

Remove the three white plastic mounting points by compressing one side with a small flathead screwdriver and rotating.

Push into place three metal clips, each will click into place over the existing hole in the door panel.

Using one half of the coarser, black foam supplied, line the face of the mounting ring that will sit against the door panel.

Screw the mounting ring into place using three of the self-tapping screws supplied with the mounting kit.

Apply one half of the thin grey foam to the rear of your new speaker, adjacent to the speaker cone. Then connect the supplied wiring harness to the speaker terminals.

Connect the wiring harness to the plug in the door panel and screw the speaker to the mounting ring, using self tapping screws that came with your chosen speaker.

Apply half of the thicker grey foam around the front edge of the speaker body, taking care not to let it adhere to the speaker cone itself. Pinch the foam around the raised lip and make sure the foam is angled away from the centre of the speaker, so that it doesn't fold over the cone when the door trim is reinstalled.

Leave the door trim detached for now and repeat the installation on the other door. Once complete, test that the speakers work as expected.

To replace the door trim, start at the top, hooking the top of the trim panel over the black rubberised strip at the top of the door. Check alignment by looking to see if the trim clips are in position to locate into the holes in the door panel. Starting from the top, work your way down, pushing on the trim to click the clips into place. Don't forget to push below the door release lever and handle to click the two central clips into place.

Reinstall the three Philips screws in the door release recess (1) and below the door handle (2 & 3).

Enjoy your improved audio experience!
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 May 2019 17:04 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines, Lambert, Riccy, gv42, Bill Portland, stiffsteve204me, Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2019 17:14 #208701 by stiffsteve204me
Excellent, Gadget.

Should be in the Wiki.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

More
22 May 2019 17:55 #208721 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen4 front speaker upgrade
Thanks, adding to the wiki is next on my list :)

More
22 May 2019 18:32 #208729 by stiffsteve204me

Gadget wrote: Thanks, adding to the wiki is next on my list :)

Good man. :)

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

More
22 May 2019 20:23 #208748 by Gadget
The following user(s) said Thank You: gv42, stiffsteve204me

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 May 2019 20:35 #208754 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen4 front speaker upgrade
Nice one. Thank you.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Skinner
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2019 13:04 - 25 Jun 2019 13:05 #210302 by Skinner
Replied by Skinner on topic Gen4 front speaker upgrade
Cheers from Finland! Picked up my Jungle Green Gen 4 yesterday and the speakers definitely need some upgrade, both front and rear. Thinking about DIY solution prior waiting for Suzuki parts to arrivive. Did any upgrader measure the height of the mounting bracket? Ie. How much space the speaker needs. And is the speaker wire plug a standard which I could pick from any car part dealer?

Any DIY options for the rear speaker brackets? My kid is yelling in the back for louder music and my ears are bleeding...
Last edit: 25 Jun 2019 13:05 by Skinner.

More
25 Jun 2019 16:12 #210303 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen4 front speaker upgrade
I didn't measure but would guess at about 20-25mm depth for the adapters. I believe the speaker connectors are standard across a lot of Japanese cars. These look identical aside from colour:

incartec.co.uk/product/Japanese-car-mode...peaker-cable-adapter

More
03 Jun 2020 07:37 #223191 by 1tamad
Replied by 1tamad on topic Gen4 front speaker upgrade
Warning! The Sony 13cm Xplod don't fit. They have a bigger diameter housing than the ring supplied in the kit. I had to use Pioneer 13cm speakers. I hope I can use the Sonys as rear speakers.

More
04 Jun 2020 19:17 #223265 by RumbleAndSway
Directions make the install a doddle. 30 minute job from unboxing to finish. Thank you.

Martin, your service, as ever, first class. Thank you

• mcgarnicle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2022 00:33 #242324 by mcgarnicle
Replied by mcgarnicle on topic Gen4 front speaker upgrade
Did you have any success installing the Sony 13cm Xplod in the rear?

More
19 Mar 2024 13:54 - 19 Mar 2024 13:56 #255174 by rogerzilla
I'm planning to do this at the weekend.  I have some Rockord Fosgate speakers (10 years ago, I fitted some to a gen3 and it sounded really good).  The "basket" of the speaker sits in the adaptor just fine.  However, the four mounting lugs, as with the Pioneer speakers shown above, are well outside the adaptor.  The Pioneer has extra holes inboard of the lugs, but the RF ones don't. Is it a case of drilling through the speaker mounting flange?

I think one issue is that the adaptor is meant for 13cm speakers but most "13cm" speakers are actually 5 1/4", which is a bit bigger.
Last edit: 19 Mar 2024 13:56 by rogerzilla.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds