BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4 wheel drive fault??

• Mrtom73
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2019 07:16 #201477 by Mrtom73
4 wheel drive fault?? was created by Mrtom73
Hi hope someone has some advice. Drove my Jimmy to work this morning and put it in 4 wd as quite icey and slippy. Found my Jimmy to be pulling to the right and a hum from the front end. It drives fine in 2wd but I would say there's an issue as I had constant 4wd on my terios and that felt very different. I know they are a different vehicle but would have expected it to feel similar which is why I suspect there's a problem. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2019 07:29 #201478 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic 4 wheel drive fault??
Sounds like one of your vacuum operated free wheeling hubs is stuck in free wheeling but is trying to engage but can't. The teeth aren't meshing on the inner and outer rings properly, causing the noise.

Try tapping the hubs lightly to see if it frees the stuck one.

In the long term buy manual hubs as the vacuum ones are rubbish. I've created a guide to making your hubs fixed in the locked position, which should still be a sticky in this section or is in the Wiki too.

There's also a method of drilling the end of the hub and tapping it to take a bolt that keeps it in locked.

Buying manual freewheeling hubs is the best solution though. Look at Jimny Bits website.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Jan 2019 07:30 #201479 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 4 wheel drive fault??
How loud was the hum and was it a metallic sort of noise? Did the steering start to get heavier than normal at any stage? It's just that unless there's actual snow on the ground or it's obviously sheet ice covering the road 4x4 isn't really a good idea as the alternation between fairly high grip wet tarmac and occasional bits of ice can over stress the 4x4 system.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Mrtom73
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2019 07:34 #201481 by Mrtom73
Replied by Mrtom73 on topic 4 wheel drive fault??
Thanks for the advice. I will bear in mind when to use the 4wd system. I would say from the advice it sounds like a problem with the n/s front hub. It's not a metallic humming more like a drone. Will get it jacked up and have a look.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds