BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Recent 2005 jimny owner, several modification questions.

• delica88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2018 22:26 #199127 by delica88
Just acquired a 2005 model jimny, want to do several things to it but would rather ask first before diving in head first. Just bought some stainless bullbars sending them off for gloss black powdercoat.

Wheel spacers, I understand that the 4x4 system relies on a vacuum system which facilitates the black hub covers, if I was to space the wheels out, can these be left alone or do they need changing?

Tyres, would like to know what tyres are recommended for both off and on road, thought about insa turbos but think the tread is too aggressive for the ride to be enjoyable on road. I enjoy the handling of the jimny but on stock tyres rear end is a little deviant not that its a problem for me but need something grippier for my girlfriend.

Lift kit, I want to do a 2" lift, ive seen kits for relocating the shocks and I know the brake lines need extending for this setup, mine has ABS so how does one extend these lines with out getting air in the system, and if air gets in how do you bleed it without air locking the abs pump?

LED lightbar, would like a nice super bright led lightbar on the roof preferably, not interested in drilling holes in anything as the one we have bought is a nice clean standard thing. Thought about super strong magnets on the roof between the bars and route the wiring down the side of the windscreen.

One last thing ive seen the LED headlight kits the availble from china, they look real nice and aren't cheap, has anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Dec 2018 05:11 #199130 by Lambert
Wheel spacers will not affect the vacuum hub system but they will have a negative impact on the wheel bearings service interval.

Many people here are very happy with the various Grabber all terrain tyres though they're not available in the standard size your going to have to get a 75 profile not a 70.

There's usually enough slack in the lines for a 2 inch lift. If you do use extended lines they bleed up exactly the same as none abs, start furthest from the master cylinder and work closer.

Be aware that some people have found the roof isn't a good place for light bars as you can get nasty reflection off the bonnet and the height of the light source can make it difficult to judge the terrain in front of you. A 20 inch bar in the bumper is much more functional though less aesthetic.

I have looked at the led headlights and simply can't justify the expense.

Welcome to the forum.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Dec 2018 08:21 - 18 Dec 2018 08:22 #199137 by Max Headroom
Tyres - man! I trawled through hod-loads of info here, much of it slightly confusing to be honest. You need to sit down and carefully think what you will be doing with the car.
In my situation, I'm predominantly using it on the road but wanted some light off-road capability and certainly decent winter performance and so elected to buy standard size Yokohama Geolanders an all season tyre that I have found give confidence in the wet. I'm very pleased with them.

Beware with LEDs there is a lot of Chinese garbage out there. These are prone to unexpected failures/poor longevity but worst of all the beam they can cast can cause problems for oncoming traffic.
The only place I have found 100% trustworthy for buying superb quality LEDs is THESE PEOPLE however they don't yet have a full range that reach into the more modern cars yet. If they get enough enquiries they will do it - so the more people that are badgering them the better.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 18 Dec 2018 08:22 by Max Headroom.

More
18 Dec 2018 09:16 #199140 by Busta
Get some all terrain tyres. Whichever brand you like best. 215/75r15 is the biggest you can go without real issues.

I hate wheel spacers and how they make a car look. Personally I'd not fit them but if you must... The hubs can stay but when your wheel bearings inevitably go the hubs will also stop working, so don't let the bearings get bad!

Suspension lift- obviously you need to extend the springs and shocks. Using spacers on both is fine but if you fit longer springs be careful fitting shock spacers without extending the bump stops as they can damage the shock brackets.

ABS needs bleeding just the same as normal brakes. If you're not sure, get somebody who knows what they are doing to do it for you.

Neodymium magnets will hold the Light bar on fine. As you don't want holes in your car, my advice is don't wire it up. Simply stick it on the roof when you want to look cool then put it away again before it gets stolen. Osram uprated headlight bulbs are a worthwhile modification but the standard headlights are pretty good.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds