BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kingpin questions

More
16 Dec 2018 17:56 #199080 by RogersJimmy
Very wet afternoon so ideal for hiding in the garage to start on the new kingpin job following the excellent how-to instructions and video on this forum.
Having dismantled the offside and cleaned everything up, I have a couple of questions:

1. The mating face with the ring of small bolts for the big swivel seal is quite deeply pitted with rust, even after thorough cleaning. The guidance says to apply grease to this face, but in such cases I wondered if a smear of the sealant used on the kingpins would be appropriate?

2. The instructions say to " fill the knuckle with 100 ml of grease". Is the knuckle the hemispherical part that the CVJ lives in and stays on the car during this operation? If so, in the video this isn't done. Or does it mean pack the CVJ itself with 100 ml grease?

Thanks in advance - the advice available on this forum is second to none!

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Dec 2018 18:58 #199083 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Kingpin questions
1. you could put some sealant on, but its just a waste of time. the seals are not intended to be totally water tight, so a smear of grease is fine.

2. it means the CV itself. surprising how little grease is needed. If you over-do it expect problems engaging 4WD because the vac hubs will be full of grease. it basically needs enough to pack it and seal around its arc of movement. no more.

:-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
22 Dec 2018 21:09 #199330 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Kingpin questions
I've never sealed this. The rubber seal is doing that underneath.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds