BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Passed MOT - few technical questions

• Leighlo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Dec 2018 21:09 #198820 by Leighlo
Passed MOT - few technical questions was created by Leighlo
My 2008 Jimny passed its MOT, I was really worried as I’ve not owned the car long. Wondered if somebody could help with the advisories though?

1. Hesdlamp adjustment dash roller moves in bulb up and one bulb down! (I knew this and always found it a bit quirky!)

2. Rear shocks need replacing soon. Should I go for Suzuki OEM?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Dec 2018 05:07 #198824 by Lambert
1 sounds like the polarity of one of the motor connections has been inverted?

2 depending on how you use the Jimny there are a number of alternatives for replacement dampers but for just pottering about oem aren't a bad compromise for durability and serviceability if a little expensive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Dec 2018 08:34 - 10 Dec 2018 08:35 #198829 by Max Headroom
Leighlo, I can't comment on the headlamp issue as I wouldn't have a clue but Lambert's theory sounds logical to me.

On the subject of the rear shocks, I got a pair of Monroe Adventure Dampers on the strength of someone else's recommendation. While I haven't fitted mine yet, the other member said he was very pleased and that they transformed his car. They're competitively priced and the seller ( atp-spareparts ) is the same seller I got mine from, neither I, nor the other BigJimny member had any problems.

Hope this helps.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 10 Dec 2018 08:35 by Max Headroom.

More
10 Dec 2018 09:25 #198830 by Busta
I fitted Monroe dampers and I can confirm they are definitely much better than the worn out dampers they replaced.

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Dec 2018 09:53 #198833 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:Passed MOT - few technical questions
I’ve monroe dampers fitted aswell

• Leighlo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Dec 2018 18:54 #198857 by Leighlo
Replied by Leighlo on topic Passed MOT - few technical questions
Thanks! I’ll take a look!

I’m just glad it passed. MOT time is always such a nervous time!

More
10 Dec 2018 21:46 - 10 Dec 2018 21:50 #198864 by Delux
Not sure of the year of your Jimny but based on the 2002 wiring diagram the plug at the levelling motor has 3 terminals.

Pin 1 should be an earth. Shown in my diagram as a black wire.

Pin 2 should be the live from the adjuster. Left hand is green with a white line, right has a black line.

Pin 3 is the main live from the fusebox. Shown as a yellow wire with a blue stripe.

Its too cold and I am too lazy to go and check but it looks like the yellow wire should supply a live to the motor when the ignition is on. When you move the switch thingy you should get a pulse or live for a few seconds thru the green wire.
Its unlikely someone has sneaked in, removed the terminals and swapped them round to make one motor run the wrong way so providing you are getting what you should when you check these wires I'd check the motor its self. If they are both moving you can assume the green and yellow wires are ok. If the earth connection is broken to one motor it could be earthing thru the green wire and working backwards I suppose.

The motors are not exactly high tech, you should be able to twist an carefully pull it out the headlamp, just make sure it moves back and forth when you operate it. Its a small motor working a plastic gearbox. Teeth may have worn causing it to skip and work in reverse.

I have quickly sketched this to avoid breaching copyright...

File Attachment:
Jimny wiring early by deeelux deeelux , on Flickr

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux
Last edit: 10 Dec 2018 21:50 by Delux.

More
10 Dec 2018 22:14 #198865 by kirkynut
Have you checked out the Big Jimny shop?

www.bigjimny.com/store/front-shock-absor...standard-suzuki.html

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
12 Dec 2018 20:29 #198916 by facade
That is an excellent sketch Deluxe, I like the way you sketched the title in multiple languages B)

I can't see the motor being wired backwards, they are a servo, and the motor moves so as to match the voltage with a little potentiometer inside, if it were backwards it would just shoot to one end and stay there. The track gets dirty in the normal position, and the motor grumbles as it hunts back and forth, you can sometimes hear one or more creak or whine if you don't start the engine with the ignition on- a little tweak of the level control back & forth usually sorts it.

I'd check the bulb is in right, if it isn't it distorts the pattern and might look like it was moving the wrong way. Otherwise it may be the wrong part, maybe they changed for one model year.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Leighlo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Dec 2018 21:56 #198921 by Leighlo
Replied by Leighlo on topic Passed MOT - few technical questions
Thanks

Going to look at this over the weekend. Fingers crossed

I’ll let you know how it’s set up

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds