BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering swivel ball

More
29 Nov 2018 13:03 #198360 by RogersJimmy
On my 2001 model, the offside swivel ball is oozing with grease, whereas the nearside one is dry with a polished surface on the lower radius.

Is this right and / or OK? How should they be lubricated? I cannot find any grease nipples anywhere, but then I am more used to pre-war cars!

Love my 'new' Jimny, though!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2018 13:31 #198363 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:Steering swivel ball
It’s probably diff oil mixing with cv grease.
It happens when your swivel bearings wear as it allows extra play and knackers the drive shaft oil seal.

More
30 Nov 2018 06:35 #198432 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:Steering swivel ball
The swivel should be dry. Inside it is a CV joint that is greased and the rubber seal that runs on the swivel is just to keep dust and dirt off the CV.

The mess you can see is axle oil leaking out due to the king pin bearings being worn and causing the half shaft to press on the seal.

You need to replace the king pin bearings and the axle oil seal.

A worn wheel bearing can have the same effect but you can assess this when you remove the hub to change the King Pin bearings and seal. The king pin bearings have to come out to replace the seal anyway.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

More
02 Dec 2018 17:17 #198545 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Steering swivel ball
Visit the Wiki section of the site and see the articles in the "How to guides" section to educate yourself on solutions to your issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds