BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

reversing lights

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2018 10:11 #197977 by invincible
reversing lights was created by invincible
now guys, i,ve been head scratching on this one all summer and now the dark nights are here i need to resolve it. reverse light stopped working after a gearbox change. so i tested the switch on the bulkhead and was ok. ran a wire into the cabin and added a switch. this worked for a while and now doesnt. ive tested the bulb with a vom and its fine, tested for power at bulb socket and nothing. i am now going to fit an led on the roof as this is the only solution i can think of. i looked in the book for fuses for the reverse light and could not find one?? am i being really dumb and its just a blown fuse? any help advice would be much appreciated guys. i,m in the dark on this one!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2018 10:22 #197979 by facade
Replied by facade on topic reversing lights
Either fuse 20 or 42, depends on year, it feeds a yellow/black wire that goes to the gearbox switch, and becomes a red wire to the reverse lights.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2018 10:28 #197980 by invincible
Replied by invincible on topic reversing lights
cheers facade, is that the fuses under steering wheel or bonnet? i,ll go have a look
ta bud.

More
22 Nov 2018 10:31 - 22 Nov 2018 11:45 #197981 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic reversing lights
I'm no electrickery injuneer but I'd say that sounds like a broken wire or a bad / rusty earth.

Jimny reversing lamps are pretty awesome but I've been looking at fitting LEDs myself, however dont get them from fleabay - they're junk.
I try to get all my LEDs from these people ; they work; they're far brighter; they last; and are very, very good quality. The only downside is that they aren't so cheap and they dont yet have all sizes/replacements.
They supplied my numberplate lights

I know its not a reversing lamp, but as an example, the picture below shows my number plate lights. The lamp on the right was a fairly decent eBay led described as 'super-bright' but the lamp on the left was an led from Dynamo Regulator Conversions and is their run-of-the-mill lamp.
The difference is obvious

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Nov 2018 11:45 by Max Headroom.

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2018 11:31 #197982 by invincible
cheers max, i thought it sounded like a wire too, humm, plus i ordered a led off ebay before reading this doh!! will defo get some new bulbs thou, cheer m8 for info , off to do further investigations on jimbo

More
22 Nov 2018 11:42 - 22 Nov 2018 11:43 #197985 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic reversing lights
The awful leds I got off ebay for my reversing lamps wouldnt even fit.

I think DRC didnt have the right size when I approached them last - but that may have changed and I expect to see them on their stand at the next Restoration show in Birmingham - you could always give them a call and ask if in a hurry. They're pretty helpful

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 22 Nov 2018 11:43 by Max Headroom.

More
22 Nov 2018 13:34 #197990 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic reversing lights
gerbox switch failure i suspect - they are cheap to replace

Jalapeño, IISY?

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2018 13:56 #197993 by invincible
i cant find any fuse numbers in the manual or on the cabin fuse box cover just amp rating of fuses? cant see written on it reverse lights
is there defo a fuse for reverse light i,m well stumped!! pic of cover below.
Attachments:

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2018 14:05 #197994 by invincible
took gearbox switch out in the summer and tested it it worked fine but when back in the gearbox it wouldnt so i cut the wire ran it into the cabin and put a switch on it.
i must have left it on and its burn a wire out somewhere on the way the the rear.
looks like i,ll have to run other wires and have a spot light then. bugger!

More
22 Nov 2018 15:27 #198005 by facade
Replied by facade on topic reversing lights

invincible wrote: i cant find any fuse numbers in the manual or on the cabin fuse box cover just amp rating of fuses? cant see written on it reverse lights
is there defo a fuse for reverse light i,m well stumped!! pic of cover below.

I went on the wiring diagram for the numbers.It will be the one labelled BACK on the lid ;)

(Back up lamp is Foreign Speak for reverse lights)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2018 15:39 #198007 by invincible
mega thanks mate i,ll go look now. fingers crossed

• invincible
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2018 19:01 #198022 by invincible
hey facade youre a wizard!! pulled fuse YES it was blown the BACK fuse as you said. changed it put my switch on tried it still no reverse light, and checked fuse and its blown again! i was thinking its just a switch as on gearbox or does it need earthing is the only thing i can think of?? humm

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds