BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

keyfob immobiliser problem

• JasJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2018 10:11 #197414 by JasJim
keyfob immobiliser problem was created by JasJim
Hi,
Hoping someone can help,

My Jimny wouldn't start, I tried to jump start it and I realised it was the battery in the Keyfob
I replaced the Keyfob battery but it still won't start , Immobiliser light keep flashing

RAC couldn't sort it, Local garage can't sort it (Aberdeenshire)

Suzuki Jimny Mode
Year:march 2004
Petrol 1328cc 82bhp

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2018 11:42 #197418 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic keyfob immobiliser problem
Battery in the keyfob has no effect on this at all. The battery in the keyfob is for door unlocking only.

The immobiliser works off a chip hidden in the key. The most common thing is that when changing the battery the tiny chip (5mm long by 1mm wide) falls out onto the floor and is lost.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: JasJim

• JasJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2018 12:50 #197420 by JasJim
Replied by JasJim on topic keyfob immobiliser problem
wow thanks , new information.
so given that its surely lost now what can I do ? the spare key doesn't work.
I'm guessing it's not as simple as buying a new chip or key.

off to do some internet searching......

More
07 Nov 2018 14:27 #197422 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic keyfob immobiliser problem
Its an easy check, open up the key again and see if the chip is there.

As the spare doesnt work then it sounds like the system has got confused. Disconnect the battery for 10 mins. Short the two battery wires together to discharge anything in the system. Reconnect battery and try again.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• JasJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2018 15:37 #197424 by JasJim
I'm unable to check the key as the car is at the garage now, They couldn't sort it.
Before it went i did try disconnecting the battery leaving it for 30 minutes then tried both keys but nothing just the flashing immobiliser light.
I'm thinking I probably have to get it to a Suzuki dealership, that's sure gonna cost me.
Thanks again for your help

More
07 Nov 2018 18:15 #197434 by Delux
Replied by Delux on topic keyfob immobiliser problem
As an ex-Suzuki dealer mechanic, the 1st thing the dealer would do is to attempt to reprogram the key. Sometimes the immobiliser control 'forgets' the code when the battery is flat.
Vauxhall Corsas are really bad for this! Remember, even now Jimnys use the same technology and similar parts for their keys as Vauxhall.
This is something only the dealer can do because you need to enter 2 codes into the dealer computer. The dealer computer will determine how many keys are programmed and can tell if the key in the ignition is programmed to the car or not.

Assuming the key does not program, the mechanic would probably check to see if the chip is in the key. If it isnt there its simply a case of ordering a new key and programming it to the car.

None of this is particularly work or time intensive which means the dealer wont be charging too much labour.

If the chip is there and it wont program then things can become expensive. Possible causes could be the receiver (the bit that fits round the ignition switch) not that expensive or the body control module/engine ecu (expensive but rare) or the wiring between any of these things (not so common on Suzukis although Wagon Rs used to be prone to it) can be expensive depending on the problem.

Busiest Mechanic in Scotland!
My pics (inc. pics of my latest Jimny project)...
www.flickr.com/photos/159422664@N08/albums
My ebay stuff for sale...
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/deeelux
The following user(s) said Thank You: JasJim, Dirtbird

• JasJim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Nov 2018 19:00 #197436 by JasJim
Thanks for the info. helps a lot.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds