BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front Radius Arm Design - Any better solutions out there?

More
16 Sep 2018 22:12 #196035 by stimpy
Hey up.

It still dumbfounds me every time I'm under the truck and see how low the bend on the front radius arms sit. The design really does unnecessarily affect forward progress in ruts.

Just wondering wether there are any better off the shelf designed units out there?

If not I can certainly see that better solutions could be bespoke made... Obviously the damper attachment location would also need moving up.

I also wondered if there would be any issue with a bespoke design going over the top instead of under the axle? That way you really would get some great clearance.

Just for reference my Jimny runs 33" tyres with a reasonable lift/body lift.

Cheers..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Sep 2018 04:27 #196039 by Lambert
I think I remember someone did a 3 link front end for a Jimny however I can't remember who or where.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Sep 2018 06:30 #196045 by Busta
There was a chap on here a few years ago with a Jimny on airbags and 33 or 35s who had was running the radius arms upside down. On anything close to standard doing that will limit the up travel quite significantly.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2018 07:10 #196047 by TomDK
There's only so much you can do if you want to keep the standard radius arm mounts on the axle. But if you're handy with a welder you could make something Jeep style Y-link as it's mount top/bottom instead of front/rear like standard jimny radius arm mounts.

Like this:
www.jeepinoutfitters.com/products/tnt-cu...k-suspension-upgrade

As you can see in the link, it could be possible to make something cheap 3-link'ish if only one of the link has an upper arm attached.

More
17 Sep 2018 19:12 #196072 by stimpy
Thanks lads.

Busta - Yes it would but not a problem on mine, though i think if I was going to fab up that then I'd go with a more bespoke better fit solution.

TomDK - Very interesting. And yes modding to the standard mount positions does limit it, however I reckon I could probably easily save 2 to 3" with a better design.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds