BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

bend track rod

More
17 Jun 2018 08:33 #193543 by safari
bend track rod was created by safari
hello everybody
i need a bit of help, i keep on bending my track rod the one between the propshaft and radius arms
what can i do i already made a hardened homemade but still it is bending easily

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2018 11:25 #193545 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic bend track rod
Are you able to post a picture? I would also ask what the off-roading conditions were.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
17 Jun 2018 11:57 #193546 by safari
Replied by safari on topic bend track rod
like this exactly and offroad is only rocks ,what i am asking is if i can make some kind of guards?
tks

Attachments:

More
17 Jun 2018 12:03 #193547 by zukebob
Is it being bent by impact loads?

More
17 Jun 2018 14:53 #193549 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic bend track rod
That photo -

Is a photo of the Redacted Heavy Duty Steering Bars fitted to my S200KYS Jimny...

That's the sort of thing you need B)

More
17 Jun 2018 14:58 #193550 by X8GGY

More
18 Jun 2018 01:58 #193562 by zukebob
If your rod is bending due to high loading in rough terrain, I would defer to S200KYS experience with the Trail-Gear HD Steering kit.

On the other hand, you have obviously had the problem more than once and you mentioned driving over rocks and asked about a guard. That is why I asked if the bending was due to impact load. If it is due to impact caused by the front of your Jimny coming over an obstacle and the rod coming down on a rock, the heavy duty kit may not solve the problem. I'm not sure how you would design a guard to go under the rod that would really provide reasonable protection from that kind of damage. Are you able to clarify the cause of the bending?

More
19 Jun 2018 08:52 #193606 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic bend track rod
If it has been bent once, it will go soft in that spot and bend more easily next time.
Hardened steel can be more brittle and is not always the right way to go. Harder is not always stronger for this kind of use, steel can have all sorts of specs. Steel with bigger diameter is often good, but if the steel bar have been peeled in production after forging as many tool steels for hardening is, it will be poorer to withstand bending forces as the forging make it strongest in the outer parts and more soft in the center of the diameter.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
19 Jun 2018 09:55 #193608 by X8GGY
Rockwatt's - fitted to mine - are solid EN16 bar, so a lot stronger but not hardened (brittle)... tested to the extremes ;)

More
20 Jun 2018 08:18 #193659 by zukebob
Thanks for the feedback S200KYS. It's good to know for future reference. My career was working as an engineer for a company that designed and fabricated military vehicles. One of the things we would sometimes be faced with is redesigning a part that was failing in the field. It would be easy to just make the part stronger but then you just shift stresses to another component in the subsystem. I have wondered if the HD steering kits would do that ultimately causing other components to see excessive stresses.

I know you run yours hard so it's good to know

More
20 Jun 2018 08:57 #193662 by X8GGY
Aye, Redacted knows his metallurgy ;)

More
22 Jun 2018 11:34 #193733 by safari
Replied by safari on topic bend track rod
tks for the reply
i used steel called (solidro) but is still bending and so failing
it is bending up and so it is pressing on the drive shaft and the steering is getting hard to turn in competitions

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds