BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Throttle position sensor

• Wingedbomb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2018 11:28 #192677 by Wingedbomb
Throttle position sensor was created by Wingedbomb
Hi all, been having no end of problems with my Jimny this year but I'll start with this question and go from there.
Are there any throttle position sensors that fit from other cars/models?
The price ranges for the jimny ones are wildly different but I've seen on a few pages that they also fit Baleno, carry, swift II and the wagon R+.
The baleno ones are widely available and start at £10.
Will these actually fit?
I've spent loads this year on it and it just keeps going wrong in a new way all the time!
It's now got an occasional lack of power and strong petrol smell when moving and the warning light is permanently on. Before it would flash on, loss of power then go again. I replaced the cam sensor and it still did it, new plugs, coils and leads, cat and it was still doing it. Next port of call was cleaning out the map pipe and the valve on the rocker cover. Still did it. I then started thinking it was the tps so under advice I ran it with it unplugged. Seemed to be working for for a few days and then had a total loss of power, smelled really hot although the temp gauge was in the OK had to pull over and then wouldn't start properly for 30mins. Got it back to my workshop with many random surges of power. I took the tps apart..... Bad idea I know.... Cleaned the contacts etc and put it back on. I reset the codes by disconnecting the battery and it seemed to run OK for 15 mins or so, then the revs shot up on thier own so I turned it off. Wouldn't start for ages but now does. Engine light permanently on, idle is good and no longer hunts up and down but when giving some throttle it splutters a bit before picking up revs as normal.
Ironically this all started happening just after I got new tyres all round, sorted out the death wobble and got the top down, thinking I really do like this car.... And then it dies. The first thing was the smell of petrol...... Used it for a few weeks and kept thinking the smell was getting worse but could never find a leak. Could this have something to do with it all? When I first got it the revs would always hunt up and down on idle but it never stalled and ran fine apart from that.
Its an X plate soft top.
Sorry for the mammoth post but I need this car running again.
Many thanks, Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 May 2018 04:06 #192696 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Throttle position sensor
Have you plugged it into a diagnostic to get codes, and if so what were they?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Wingedbomb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2018 08:47 #193387 by Wingedbomb
Replied by Wingedbomb on topic Throttle position sensor
I haven't got access to one unfortunately. I'd like to buy the one from rhinoman but I don't have the funds currently.
Anyone in the local area who could help?
I'd be very grateful! And pay petrol etc
Thanks, Pete

More
12 Jun 2018 18:42 #193403 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Throttle position sensor
Not that this helps but I had almost exactly this with a Pinin I had about two years ago. I replaced all sort like the TPS and such. I cleaned out the throttle body and I was going to replace it en bloc. I had mechanics look at it who were nonplussed. For weeks I ran around with a choke cable connected to the throttle so I could by hand lift the revs. In the end I got shut of the car, it was a lemon. It was a pity because initially I loved the way it drove and in the end I lost hundreds on the thing.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jun 2018 18:42 #193404 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Throttle position sensor
Where's local?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Wingedbomb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2018 08:11 #193429 by Wingedbomb
Replied by Wingedbomb on topic Throttle position sensor
My workshop is near Fakenham norfolk

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds