BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Wheels/Tyres Sorry!!!!!!!

• Dizzy37
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2018 10:42 - 09 May 2018 11:07 #192546 by Dizzy37
Wheels/Tyres Sorry!!!!!!! was created by Dizzy37
I have been lucky enough to barter for some 15" steel rims and they were off a Vitara they are at the mo being refinished. I tried talking to the local tyre fitter but he wasn't any help unfortunately so I'm going to ask some really stupid to you questions but can't find the answers and what I can find don't make a great deal of sense to me.

1 I have 3 spoke alloys on my jimny at present sporting 205/70R 1596H road tyres (sorry don't know what this means google has not been my friend in this instance) the tyres on the Vitara wheels were a 195/R15 940.01S. The fitter said that the 205 were a lower profile even though the number is higher????? I want All terrain tyres I think as I want to use this for daily use as well as green laning (newby and need to start somewhere.). So what size am I looking for and what is most suitable as the tyre fitter will source the tyres if I can give him the size.

2 Wheel nuts do I need to change them to fit the steel rims?.

3 Do I need wheel spacers?

4 As I've only ever bought tyres that are listed in the manual how do I work out tyre pressures?

Thanks in advance
Diane.
Last edit: 09 May 2018 11:07 by Dizzy37. Reason: need to check my grammer before submitting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2018 13:15 #192553 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Wheels/Tyres Sorry!!!!!!!
Hi Diane, welcome to the forum.

If it is a standard car with no suspension modifications, I would suggest 215/75 x 15 as far as size goes.

No need for spacers.

I run AT's but do a fair few road miles and wanted the best I could get on wet tarmac (the only time I ever have a car get out of shape) and went for BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2. They are fantastic on and off road, unbelievably good in snow but expensive at £115 per corner.

Others will have to comment on different brands, there are other good ones about....

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dizzy37

More
09 May 2018 17:27 - 09 May 2018 17:31 #192566 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Wheels/Tyres Sorry!!!!!!!

Dizzy37 wrote: I have been lucky enough to barter for some 15" steel rims and they were off a Vitara they are at the mo being refinished. I tried talking to the local tyre fitter but he wasn't any help unfortunately so I'm going to ask some really stupid to you questions but can't find the answers and what I can find don't make a great deal of sense to me.

1 I have 3 spoke alloys on my jimny at present sporting 205/70R 1596H road tyres (sorry don't know what this means google has not been my friend in this instance) the tyres on the Vitara wheels were a 195/R15 940.01S. The fitter said that the 205 were a lower profile even though the number is higher????? I want All terrain tyres I think as I want to use this for daily use as well as green laning (newby and need to start somewhere.). So what size am I looking for and what is most suitable as the tyre fitter will source the tyres if I can give him the size.

2 Wheel nuts do I need to change them to fit the steel rims?.

3 Do I need wheel spacers?

4 As I've only ever bought tyres that are listed in the manual how do I work out tyre pressures?

Thanks in advance
Diane.

1.205 is the width(mm) 70 is the height (profile) as a percentage of the width, and 15 is the rim diameter. when there is no number between 195 and the R15 it means they are 80 profile. they are legal/equal to the original tires. As i have not seen your steel wheels it is hard to tell if they are original vitara wheels, but i guess they are, and you can most likely use them as is.

2. again not knowing what nuts you have, or what steel wheels, but most likely you can use the same nuts. I have allways done so on my suzukis.

3. I do not recommend them, and in my country they are illegal actually.

4. trial and error for tyre pressure. For larger tyres, I have used a bit lower pressure. If your tyres are within 5% of the original ones i do not think there is no need to deviate from the original pressure. depends also if you carry alot of luggage or passengers in wich case it can be raised a bit.
I tend to use less pressure than most people but rarely go on a highway. For offroading 0.4 bar.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 09 May 2018 17:31 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dizzy37

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2018 19:43 #192589 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Wheels/Tyres Sorry!!!!!!!
Don't bother with spacers. 215/75/15 is the max you can go on a standard Jimny. 195/80/15 may also be worth looking at. Little smaller (not a lot) but probly a better price.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds