BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Liana swap question - ecu.

More
18 Apr 2018 20:27 #191883 by benmoto501
Hi guys.
Literally just pulled the engine out of a Liana i picked up for an engine swap in my Jimny.
Quite happy with swapping everything over but just have one question.

Everyone else seems to use the Jimny ecu. Why?
I have the whole car so can pull the ecu out too, but is there a reason no one else does this?
Possibly something to do with the key recognition?

I'm thinking the correct engine mapping for the engine would be ideal as I've read comments in others build threads saying the Jimny ecu just about copes.
If it's a little more work in happy to do this but if its a real pain then I won't!

Anyone got any thoughts?

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2018 00:28 #191887 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Liana swap question - ecu.
Probably the best guide to the M series engine swap is here on the Auszookers forum:

Auszookers

It's a long read but touches on the ECU issue and likely answers some additional questions that you didn't even know you had. If you start to read through some of the other topics there, be warned that there is a lot of Jimny hate on the forum. You will need to do a lot of filtering of information.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
19 Apr 2018 05:36 #191888 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Liana swap question - ecu.
The Liana and Jimny ECU are of the same type and looks to be similar. The key chip (immobilizer chip) is programmed to the ECU and the easiest way to go is to use the Liana key chip already programmed to the ECU you plan to use. The immobilizer has a antenna by the ignition lock and i suspect that the amplifier built in the antenna does also plays a part in this.

I have been trying to get my Jimny to accept a liana ECU for a while now as i have heard of people who have done this. Not sure what else they have been trying to fit or if there is any differnce in the pin out.
it hooks up and when i turn the ignition on the immo-light flashes so the car will not start. I have tried to program different keys to it, but not sure if i have the correct type of immo chip. no faults or errors on the immo chip programmer.

If you pull the ecu, pull also the complete wiring, ignition key, antenna/ signal amplifier and everything.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
19 Apr 2018 22:11 #191908 by Johnniehec
If you use the liana Ecu can you tape the liana key to the ignition barrel and use the Jimny key in the barrel to start the Jimny?

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
20 Apr 2018 00:41 #191909 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Liana swap question - ecu.
I would think the liana is the same as the jimny. So if you use the liana ecu, You would also need the liana chipped ignition key, liana ignition, liana key reader that goes around the ignition as they would all be coded to the liana ecu.
I could be wrong, And i'm sure someone with more knowledge will chip in if i am.

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
20 Apr 2018 06:27 #191918 by yakuza

Johnniehec wrote: If you use the liana Ecu can you tape the liana key to the ignition barrel and use the Jimny key in the barrel to start the Jimny?

You would have to remove the "wrong" chip from the jimny key though.
50% chance of success with two alternative chips inside the reach of the antenna, and of course 100% chance of failure.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
20 Apr 2018 06:39 #191922 by yakuza

Jezz wrote: I would think the liana is the same as the jimny. So if you use the liana ecu, You would also need the liana chipped ignition key, liana ignition, liana key reader that goes around the ignition as they would all be coded to the liana ecu.
I could be wrong, And i'm sure someone with more knowledge will chip in if i am.

Not sure about the antenna/amplifier as they do look the same and google told me that they could be the same.
On some cars there is a separate Immobilizer thingy that need to be coded but on these cars i think it is only an antenna / signal amplifier and that the ECU is what you program.
But then again I have not managed to get this to work yet.

My clear recommendation is to buy / try this with a complete kit as you say.
Also from a manual/auto like your Jimny as I suspect the auto has different maps and signals.

Ignition barrel / lock is not necessary I think and I do not know if it fits.

However It seems it is almost only me that is not satisfied with running Liana engine on a Jimny ECU..
I suspect my problems is connected to the higher compression rate on my Liana engine. If you use a Liana engine with the same compression rate as the Jimny, the ECU will most likely work much better.
I have ignition pinging and no power over 4000rpm.
Could be lots of things of course, but i have slightly more power the first 10 minutes after resetting the ECU.

More
20 Apr 2018 06:59 #191929 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Liana swap question - ecu.
How about contacting a reputable tuner and asking them to remap the Jimny ECU. Maybe they can copy the Liana map if you take the Liana ECU with you.

It saves all the immobilser issues then and they might be able to get you a little more torque too.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
20 Apr 2018 07:12 - 20 Apr 2018 07:13 #191932 by yakuza

kirkynut wrote: How about contacting a reputable tuner and asking them to remap the Jimny ECU. Maybe they can copy the Liana map if you take the Liana ECU with you.

It saves all the immobilser issues then and they might be able to get you a little more torque too.

Kirkynut

Would love that.. but I do not know of any where I live..
Suzuki ECU's isn't the most common in the tuning world either?

And as far as i know they most do diesel tuning only..

Last edit: 20 Apr 2018 07:13 by yakuza.

More
20 Apr 2018 09:11 - 20 Apr 2018 09:12 #191939 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Liana swap question - ecu.
I'm pretty sure i have read on this very site in previous similar posts, That the key reader antenna thing that fits around the ignition and reads and recognises the key chip is also coded to the ecu This to me makes perfect sense, As it stops some Caravan Utilising Nomadic TypeS,
Going to the scrappys getting a key and reader, Taping them together, Then turning up on your drive and breaking in to the car smashing the ignition off, Then plugging in there key reader unimobilising your car and driving off.
Anyway waffle over. I thnk it's Rhinoman on this site that would have all the correct answers.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2018 09:12 by Jezz. Reason: spelling

More
21 Apr 2018 01:08 #191964 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Liana swap question - ecu.
Due to having an automatic transmission, I was effectively disqualified from doing an M series engine upgrade. For that reason I need to qualify my statements as being from memory.

Regardless, I would still suggest the OP read through the link I gave, if he hasn't already. I do remember that it touches on ECU issues. My recollection is that some tried using the donor car ECU, others went with a piggyback arrangement. In the end, most seemed to accept that the best thing was to use the donor car throttle body with the M13 IAC valve and Jimny ECU.

Rhinoman (again if memory serves me) was a part of the conversation in the other forum. As our resident ECU expert, I would second Jezz's comment to utilize his knowledge. I'm sure he would be very open to a PM.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
19 May 2023 17:05 #249182 by Sinanonboard
I have swapped my engine from M13 to M18, but still using the stock jimny ecu. I am also very interested to swap the ecu with liana, have you got any leads till now?

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds