BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Spring to replace

• ChrisW
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2018 11:41 #190624 by ChrisW
Spring to replace was created by ChrisW
Hey guys,

While trying to get the stupid silencer off as it has to be replaced I noticed this spring having rusted off.

Can anyone point me to what it is for so I can find a replacement? It’s between the silencer and the rear diff

The more time I spend under the back the more the rust worries me. Front isn’t that bad, but there is a lot at the back. Have to do something about it, if anyone knows where I can take the car to get some attention on this front please let me know.

Thanks
Chris
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Mar 2018 12:57 #190625 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Spring to replace
That would be the rear brake bias valve spring. Used to regulate brake performance depending on relative position of rear axle and body.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Mar 2018 13:28 #190627 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Spring to replace
As mentioned above, That's the rear load bias valve. Normally when there that rusty at the rear, It's bacause it has been used to launch or
retrieve boats or jet ski's and not had the salt water washed off. I would get under there with a low power jet wash and give it a good rinse with clean water. Then when dry lay an old tarp or sheets down and spray everything with oil to try and slow the rust down. The only way to stop it will be to strip, clean and repaint everthing rusty.

It's been fettled just a tad.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Mar 2018 20:22 #190650 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Spring to replace
The rear is the same on most of the early Jimnys. From the look of mine it seems that the undersealers on the production line did not exist who were supposed to spray that area hence why the rear floors always rot!

More
21 Mar 2018 23:30 #190711 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Spring to replace
I can't help with the spring, but thought I might draw your attention to this...

I'm restoring a 1930s sportscar and have used AQUASTEEL very successfully.
It's also used by the MOD and on oil rigs apparently, where you can imagine trying to get rid of rust in a high salt atmosphere in a difficult environment would be a real problem.

I've got some areas of corrosion in various place on my Jimny and intend to use the same product to deal with it - simply because I've been so impressed with it. It works

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
The following user(s) said Thank You: ow3x3xpr3ss

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds