BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Length of M13a engine

More
10 Mar 2018 11:10 #190225 by minorsuzuki
I'm looking into doing a modest upgrade to my Morris Minor by fitting an M13a engine and box from a Jimny. Can anyone tell me how long the engine is from the bellhousing to the front of the pulley? Just testing the waters before taking the plunge and buying an engine as the engine bay is relatively short. Thanks..

Morris Minor Traveller with M16a Liana engine and Jimny gearbox.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 14:26 #190227 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Length of M13a engine
I can measure that later for you. I also have an engine box and wiring etc for sale

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
11 Mar 2018 14:54 #190268 by minorsuzuki
Replied by minorsuzuki on topic Length of M13a engine
Ok. Thanks.

• Caelite
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2018 21:59 #190287 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic Length of M13a engine
Does the Suzuki M series not share a common block, with different bore sleeving and stroke lengths. If this is the case surely the M18 or M15 would be better? Both are fairly common but with greater power outputs.

More
12 Mar 2018 07:58 #190301 by minorsuzuki

Caelite wrote: Does the Suzuki M series not share a common block, with different bore sleeving and stroke lengths. If this is the case surely the M18 or M15 would be better? Both are fairly common but with greater power outputs.

Correct, the bigger engine is my ultimate plan, but I would still need the Jimny engine and box to start with so I can get all the rear wheel drive bits off the engine to transfer onto the bigger capacity engine. For example the jimny engine mounts and top radiator hose look to be in roughly the right place.

More
12 Mar 2018 10:24 #190307 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Length of M13a engine
Ok I measured this as accurately as you can using a tape measure and the engine installed in the car, obviously measurements taken on a removed engine will be more accurate. No tolerances or guarantee of 100% accuracy given.

Front pulley to bell housing joint is 18.5 inches.

BUT the rear of the cylinder head or something attached to it extends over the bell housing. I can't see what it is or if it can be removed, but the distance front pulley to rear of engine including this is 21 inches.

2009 jimny M13A VVT engine

Hope this helps

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
12 Mar 2018 18:00 #190323 by minorsuzuki
That's great, thanks for the info. The stuff on the back of the head is an egr valve and a hose connection for the heater hose. Based on your measurements it will fit just about. A lot of Minor owners use a rover k series but you have to hack chunks out of the bulkhead. I'd like to do a swap which doesn't require mods to the shell.

Point taken on the accuracy of your measurements.

More
11 Apr 2020 10:14 - 11 Apr 2020 10:15 #220930 by minorsuzuki
Hi everyone. Based on the info above I went ahead and got a Jimny M13a engine and box and put it in the Minor as a trial fit. Then there was a 1 year gap due to a health issue. Cut a long story short I bought a complete Liana then used the Jimny gearbox with the Liana engine, lots of the Jimny engine ancillaries which suited the RWD application. I kept the Liana throttle body and the Liana loom and ECU. Here is a pic of the engine bay now. Thanks to those who offered info.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 10:15 by minorsuzuki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Apr 2020 10:35 #220931 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Length of M13a engine
So let's get this straight. You have a moggie thou with what 30 hp if it's lucky and you are giving it a modern 1.6? with a hundred hp plus? That's going to be a right laugh. What does a moggie weigh 750kg ish, hope you have plans for a brake upgrade. I love a good restomod!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Apr 2020 11:27 #220938 by minorsuzuki
This is mild compared to what some people do, there are lots of Rover k series and Ford Zetec conversions out there with up to 200 BHP or more. Brakes have been upgraded to discs at the front, and bigger drums at the back. Original engine had 48 BHP. You're about right with the weight but mine's a Traveller so it's closer to 800kg.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
More
12 Apr 2020 07:48 #220976 by Mrgreg
Replied by Mrgreg on topic Length of M13a engine
Hi, what rear axle are you using.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds