BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Winch battery problem

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 07:41 #189196 by Mraz
Winch battery problem was created by Mraz
I finally fitted the control box and wired my winch so I tought I'd gove it a try. And bummer, it worked fine for a minute or so and then car almost died when spooling the wire back on the drum. My battery is tiny and weak and old (45Ah, 330Amps). So my question is, what's the biggest battery one can fit in place of original one without too much "improvisation". Would a regular 55-60Ah battery (500-550 Amps) be OK for ocassional winching or should I look at Exide Maxxima?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 08:51 - 09 Feb 2018 08:53 #189199 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Winch battery problem
Really depends on your budget.

But a decent quality agm battery with 700+ cca is preferable.

The are better options than the Exide Maxxima. Like odyssey or optima. Or perhaps a Varta AGM. Numax if on a budget.

If you want a good winching battery that doesn't take up a lot of space, an Optima red top is great :)
Last edit: 09 Feb 2018 08:53 by TomDK.

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 14:43 #189202 by Mraz
Replied by Mraz on topic Winch battery problem
Would this work?

eshop.wurth.sk/Product-categories/Starte...3143.cgid/en/US/EUR/

There's a 40% discount on batteries in a nera-by shop and this looks I could somehow fit. I assume it being a D+ is not that big of a problem.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 15:19 #189204 by TomDK
Which one ?

And what is your budget?

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 16:59 - 09 Feb 2018 17:02 #189212 by CharlesS
Replied by CharlesS on topic Winch battery problem
IF you decide to purchase the Optima battery..... the red top is a rough use battery designed for Off Roading; the yellow top is a deep cycle battery better suited for winching.

Optima Red
Optima Yellow
Last edit: 09 Feb 2018 17:02 by CharlesS.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 17:38 #189214 by TomDK
Not exactly.

The red top battery is a starter battery, suitable for most vehicles. But especially big diesels that require lots of amps to crank the engine. Nothing special about it other than lots of CCA's compared to its size.

The Yellow top is correctly a deep cycle battery which is good for many things that draws amps over time. That's not exactly what a winch does even though many use yellow tops for winching, myself included.

But I've seen tests where the red top performs better winching than a yellow top does.
And a winch motor is more or less just a big starter motor.

A couple of things worth mentioning regarding Optima red vs yellow. The yellow top Optima's I have are the big tall 75 Ah/ 975 CCA ones, quite bigger than the 50 Ah/ 850 CCA red tops. A Yellow top battery of the same size as a red top is only 765 CCA and 55 Ah. I also believe the red top is the cheaper option. The test I saw was between the red top and the small yellow top.

So if space is an option, I'd go for the red top.

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 18:04 #189215 by Mraz
I was thinking the EA60_L2 60Ah... im thinking I could fit it with minor improvisation. 680 CCA

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 18:06 #189216 by TomDK
How much is it?

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 19:13 #189219 by CharlesS
Replied by CharlesS on topic Winch battery problem
My experience with the Optima Red Top is that the quality has been lacking since they moved the production plant to Mexico about 10 years ago. Here in CA if you purchase a Optima Red Top; it generally only lasts 2-3 years due to heat and lack of quality. The Optima Yellow Top performs much better in our environment when operating a winch.
I run a 137A alternator with 2 ga battery cables and a Sears Diehard Platinum battery and that combination has worked very well for me....

• Mraz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2018 20:52 #189222 by Mraz
Tom, with discount it is about 60 quid. Price comparable to normal (low end) batteries of the same capacity, al least here in Croatia.

Varta AGM is 120-130 quid, Exide AGM or Maxxima are about 160-180 quid, Optima Red is arround 200 quid and so on.

More
11 Feb 2018 15:43 #189267 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Winch battery problem
Have a look at this:

www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/numax/cxv30hrmf/

I've run this for what I guess is over 6 years in a winch challenge, play days and greenlaing. In the last 3 or 4 years it has sat for 10 days at a time and always started with aplomb.

Mine sits in a Jimny Bits Battery tray but is a bit tall, so I had to trim the bonnet about underneath.

A smaller one from the Numax range will be good enough and the prices are keen.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds