BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Immobiliser light stays on

• mattsccm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 11:48 #188934 by mattsccm
Immobiliser light stays on was created by mattsccm
2004 Jim with original battery! The battery was starting to sound a bit sluggish and I am sure that all this cold weather with everything electrical isn't helping so it spent 24 hours on the charger. (which does the job nicely on my other batteries.)
Charged up nicely so re-fitted and the engine spins beautifully but won't start. What I assume is the immobiliser light stays on. ( I never even the vehicle had such a thing until an hour ago.) Has always started perfectly with either key.
Its all to coincidental to my mind for it not to be linked to this battery removal which I thought was the first time ever, but a bit of muck under it suggests maybe not. Had the vehicle from new and never ever any problems like this.
Any bright ideas?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Jan 2018 14:44 - 29 Jan 2018 14:45 #188941 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Immobiliser light stays on
Rhinoman would be the person to ask, but you haven't done anything else to it just left the battery off overnight to charge?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 29 Jan 2018 14:45 by Lambert. Reason: Eye carnt slepl

• mattsccm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 16:17 #188943 by mattsccm
Replied by mattsccm on topic Immobiliser light stays on
Literally just that. Battery off, charge, back on. Took it off after the last post and left it on the charger. Off to try again. Did clean battery terminals with a rag but to be honest they were fine before.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 19:21 #188955 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Immobiliser light stays on
You obviously reconnected the terminals correctly I assume, positive to positive. If so check both ends of each cable are tight. They are the basics. Once that is clarified as OK then more thought will be needed.

• mattsccm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 19:36 #188956 by mattsccm
You bet. Tight as can be. Sparkly clean and all as good as new. Perplexed.
Handbook says that battery can be disconnected with no problems but helpfully says that this light means something is wrong.

More
29 Jan 2018 20:45 #188961 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Immobiliser light stays on
From what I recall the immo light stays on until it starts, if its flashing then there is a problem. Maybe you disturbed something else.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• mattsccm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 21:12 #188963 by mattsccm
Never even seen* it before suggesting that it goes out dead quick like the airbag light. Stays on now ,constant, engine spins well but won't fire. I had to get the book out to even find out that it was an immobiliser light. I wasn't aware it had an immobiliser until today.
* Lets say noticed
As nothing has changed apart from a battery being removed and replaced. It all points to that but I am so so sure that its on properly. Even added some jump leads from my Landy when it started to sound a bit sluggish with my frequent attempts to start it. Spins like buggery but not firing.

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 22:05 #188964 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Immobiliser light stays on
Have you checked the fuses which are next to the battery.

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 23:06 #188965 by CharlesS
Replied by CharlesS on topic Immobiliser light stays on
You need to determine what is missing as to why the engine will not start.
Have you verified the fuel pump runs when the ignition key is turned to ON? The fuel pump should run for a few seconds to pump up the fuel pressure. When you are cranking the engine; verify you either do or do not have spark to the plugs.
I have to agree with what was posted about he immobilizer light going off shortly after the engine starts; IF it's flashing then there is a problem with either the transmitter chip in the key or the immobilizer receiver module. Have you tried another key to see if there is a problem with the key you are using?

• mattsccm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2018 19:22 #188991 by mattsccm
Same with both keys. All fuses fine. Will check the fuel and spark but am bemused why they should fail when the battery is removed. And that light stay on!. Grrr
Sadly getting it to someone with a code reader is tricky as I can't drive it>

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2018 19:34 #188992 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Immobiliser light stays on
I would suggest you get the Battery load tested as just because it is turning the engine what seems normal there might not be enough power left to actually trigger the ignition. Especially as you mentioned you had to use jump leads as the battery soon went low!

• mattsccm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2018 21:53 #188999 by mattsccm
New one on order. However it did test out just fine. Bearing in mind its only 3 months short of 14 years old I am prepared to assume that its lying to me. Why this though? Its been flat, properly kipper like, before. Left door open for a couple of day ! Bumped, ran and fine. Reckon it hasn't like disconnecting.
What is the point though is not that its not firing but why the light staying on.
That implies an immobiliser issue linked to battery removal surely/
I hate modern cars. My Land Rover doesn't do this.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds