BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

bumper paint query

More
28 Jan 2018 18:28 - 28 Jan 2018 18:30 #188909 by Paul4A
bumper paint query was created by Paul4A
Had a slight incident with my partners Jimny (person turned left from the right lane at a junction and cut me off) and have grazed the paint from the front corner of the bumper and wheel arch on the bumper. I took it to a small local bodyshop for a quote and they gave me a low price saying they would patch paint it and blend it in. I also took it to a second insurance recommended bodyshop and they highlighted that the plastic body parts are textured and while they could blend the paint in it would be smooth and not textured so would be noticeable. In fact they said no-one could paint the textured finish so the only proper solution is to buy a second hand front bumper already in the correct blue.

Its obviously an old car and not worth spending a lot on but I like to keep it decent looking and in good condition. Has anyone previously had to touch up[ a bumper before and it is very noticeable?

Thanks,
Paul

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jan 2018 18:30 by Paul4A.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2018 18:43 #188911 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:bumper paint query
If it doesnt bother you, polish away the white scratches and just touch up the black spot with some touch up paint.
I didnt know the bumpers has texture, never seen it. Dont think it would make much noticeable difference anyway if they painted it smooth

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2018 19:26 #188913 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:bumper paint query
As MadsV said or have you tried one of these firms that fix it on you drive.

More
28 Jan 2018 23:34 #188919 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Re:bumper paint query
Not tried anything yet apart from these two bodyshops. The second seemed to know more than the first but is much more difficult to get to for dropping off and picking up.

The car is a 1999 model but only has 39,000 miles on the clock. It definitely has a slight dotty pattern on the front bumper and side skirts which can be seen in a slightly different reflectance in the paint.

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2018 23:56 #188921 by MadsV
Yes I have the texture on the side skirts and wheel arches. I painted my bumpers some months ago and you dont really think about texture differences.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Jan 2018 05:04 #188923 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:bumper paint query
It is possible to fake the texture of the bumper but it is time consuming. You prep and paint it but as it is just starting to dry you stipple the surface with a qtip and that gives you the texture then colour coat that and it will blend quite well. It takes time, practice and skills to do so if you are paying for it then it won't be cheap.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2018 11:26 #188933 by MadsV
I use a Kent Texture spray at work, no problem getting texture. www.kenteurope.com/en/products/plaz-tex-clear-2/ wouldnt bother thou

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds