BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Longer springs needed

More
23 Jan 2018 22:53 #188787 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Longer springs needed
The issue is pretty simple. You have springs correctly matched to the length of your shocks, but you have added spacers to the shocks, moving their range of travel by 2 inches.

It seems more people damage shock mounts with relocators fitted than without, so for the sake of a bit of accelerated wear on the £5 shock bushes ditch the relocators. Your dislocation issue will be fixed and you will reduce the likelihood of breaking the mounts. Win win!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Jan 2018 04:58 #188789 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Longer springs needed
I have been reading this thread with an increasing level of almost morbid curiosity, but I have a question. Has this suspension been fitted with appropriate sized bump stops to stop the dampers topping out on full compression taking account of the relocation mounts?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2018 07:57 - 24 Jan 2018 07:58 #188790 by X88RED
Replied by X88RED on topic Longer springs needed
Thanks for the input guys! I have decided to remove the front re locators as this seems to be the best option. I will also fit a front shock mount guards at the same time that I had lying around (could not fit this with the re locators in place). As to the rear re locators there is no issue with them/ the suspension set up so they will remain, and they work perfect with the protection I have in place. As to confirm I have uprated bump stops all round as well :)
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 07:58 by X88RED.

More
24 Jan 2018 09:47 #188795 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Longer springs needed
You say there is no problem with the rear relocators, but do you still have a problem with the springs dislocating? If so, this is caused by the relocators. Remove them and you can shorten your bump stops accordingly so you will gain useful suspension travel.

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2018 10:01 #188797 by X88RED
No problem with the springs dislocating on the rear it was just one the front ones that I was concerned about slightly. The bump stops I have fitted work all ok with my current set up regardless of the re locators - I think the bump stops are for upwards articulation?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2018 12:04 #188802 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Longer springs needed
You say the relocators work perfectly. But have you tried removing them?

Bumpstops are there to prevent shocks from bottoming out when axle moves up. I know some use them to limit uptravel due to too big tyres.

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2018 12:31 - 24 Jan 2018 12:31 #188804 by X88RED
Did not really see the need in removing them as its not causing any issues on the rear, plus I can still run them with the shock protection fitted. What benefits would I have if I remove them?

I am running +75mm bump stops all around which suited my set up - 4" suspension lift & 2" body lift, I will also be running 235/85/16 tyres shortly :)
Last edit: 24 Jan 2018 12:31 by X88RED.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2018 12:40 #188805 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Longer springs needed
If you remove them the main benefit is to allow for more uptravel.
You could try removing the springs on the rear axle and see when the axle touches the bump stop. If it's around an inch before the shock is fully compressed all is okay.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds